Pod Your Reef

PomPom Crabs

wooz29

Where do the PomPom Crabs get their pompoms from? (keep in mind I am a newb)

I'd assume they are usually from condy anemones, or others if the LFS doesn't steal their expensive pom-pom. They definitely are born with it though, that would just be plain freggin weird.

I just bought 2 this weekend and I dont have any anemones and the tank they were in at the LFS might have had some, I dont recall. Is it possible for the anemones they are carrying to start growing in my tank?

Well yeah the anemones they have will grow somewhat as long as the crab keeps them exposed to the lighting. IF the crab drops them then they probably don't have a good chance to survive. Also if the crab does lose one it will split the other in two.

SaltwaterGoldfish?

my store had a pompom crab with only one pompom... after a couple months in our Cube it now has both pompoms... so they can reproduce in a tank... Bunodeopsis is the anemone in question... they are considered a pest to swimmers in California so I would imagine they could be a pest in aquariums... though I dont recall ever hearing anyone having problems

anemone = invert

pom pom crab = invert

Therefore,

pom pom crab = anemone

Answer: pom pom crab can grow anemone.

thefishofdoom
Well, that makes life a lot more exciting!

Now I'm hoping one of my sponges grows a squid...

--Diane

thats just great plus i dout a pom pom crab grows his own unless he has some in store because if a pom pom crab grew its anemone wouldnt every one have a anemone but yet they dont always have there anemone.

It's most definatly impossible that one animal can create another animal out of nothing. End of question. Unless he has a little bio-tech lab in the tank.....

My Pom released his anemones during a molt and did not pick them back up. The anemone's can certainly survive without the crab as they had attached themselves to the front glass of my tank and even split. I had hoped that he would eventually pic them back up but I accidentally killed them with my glass cleaner one day. Now my crab is picking up anything he can to replace the lost anemones.

firefishbrain

my pom pom doesn't have any but in another thread it said that the anenomes are used as filter feeders, and of corse, defense, I would assume that they aren't born with them though, here's a theory, you know how the female carries the eggs, mybe she drops an anenomes or picks a small piece off when the babies hatch, then the babies pick them up and they grow into the famous pom pom, anyone had a gravid female.... oh and don;'t quote me on anything b/c I'm not 100% sure.

Where do the PomPom Crabs get their pompoms from? (keep in mind I am a newb)

Is pom pom crab same as boxer crab ? I bought a tiny boxer crab with an anemone in each claw. real cute cost like $20 since it was bright yellow. Put it in the tank 6 months ago and never saw it again lol.

I imagine it behind the live rock hiding in that maze hope so anyway. wanted to know if same as pom pom crab.

Is pom pom crab same as boxer crab ?

Yes, according to most sources, but I've never seen a "bright yellow" one!

Here's some info from wetwebmedia on their anemones:

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/anemidfaq9.htm

Pom Pom Crab - Lybia tesselata 11/24/2005

Great site, guys.

<Thank you Steve>

I've searched the site as well as the web and have been unable to find an answer to my question. What type of anemone does the Lybia tesselata crab carry?

<The Pom Pom Crab will normally arm himself with anemones of the Bunodeopsis species (Beaded Anemone). Shouldn't be too hard to find as San Diego declared them a pest as swimmers were complaining of being stung by them in Mission Bay. They are not native to Mission Bay, just got there someway.>

<<Likely got there the same way Batiguitos Lagoon got its Caulerpa taxifolia. MH>>

And here's what Sprung has to say about them in his Invertebrates: A Quick Reference Guide:

Lybia

Common Name: Boxer Crab, Pom Pom Crab

Region: Red Sea, Indian Ocean, Pacific

Description: Small crabs distinguished by habit of carrying the anemone Bunodeopsis sp. in each claw like a pair of boxing gloves, used for defense and feeding. Lybia wipes the anemones on the substrate and feeds on the material that adheres to them, arguably tool usage combined with mutualism. Lybia tesselata is the most common speices collected for aquariums. Lybia caestifera is more cryptic and L. edmondsoni from Hawaii is similar to L. tesselata.

--Diane

Yes, according to most sources, but I've never seen a "bright yellow" one!

Here's some info from wetwebmedia on their anemones:

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/anemidfaq9.htm

Pom Pom Crab - Lybia tesselata 11/24/2005

Great site, guys.

<Thank you Steve>

I've searched the site as well as the web and have been unable to find an answer to my question. What type of anemone does the Lybia tesselata crab carry?

<The Pom Pom Crab will normally arm himself with anemones of the Bunodeopsis species (Beaded Anemone). Shouldn't be too hard to find as San Diego declared them a pest as swimmers were complaining of being stung by them in Mission Bay. They are not native to Mission Bay, just got there someway.>

<<Likely got there the same way Batiguitos Lagoon got its Caulerpa taxifolia. MH>>

And here's what Sprung has to say about them in his Invertebrates: A Quick Reference Guide:

Lybia

Common Name: Boxer Crab, Pom Pom Crab

Region: Red Sea, Indian Ocean, Pacific

Description: Small crabs distinguished by habit of carrying the anemone Bunodeopsis sp. in each claw like a pair of boxing gloves, used for defense and feeding. Lybia wipes the anemones on the substrate and feeds on the material that adheres to them, arguably tool usage combined with mutualism. Lybia tesselata is the most common speices collected for aquariums. Lybia caestifera is more cryptic and L. edmondsoni from Hawaii is similar to L. tesselata.

--Diane

thanks for the info/site great site to went into my favorites/saved for future . Mine was bright yellow and tiny with 2 tiny anemones not sure what type.

Once I put him in the tank I never saw him again lol. I hope he is okay . no fish in that particular tank and everything is fine but who knows .

Again thanks even though sites like that cost me money as I wind up setting up another tank or even a freshwater planted tank lol.

Archived