inTank Media Baskets

barebottom maintenance

goldendreamer

goldendreamer
Hey Deak!

GD - Nass snails work well, but personally I've never been able to keep them alive. SeanT over at RC wrote a huge "how to BB" thread. In there, he says astreas and ceriths are the best BB snails. FWIW, I personally like margarita snails....always busy doing sonething! Then again, I also like hermits :)

i would love to check that thread out, but rc has been total trash lately in terms of search feature (has told me too high server load the last 5 times i was there attempting to search).

just grabbed a nass and two blue legs (only had 1 turbo before). hopefully this will help keep the bottom cleaner

goldendreamer

just started using cyclopeeze; gotta say, my neon gobies hardly noticed the stuff. maybe they need to get used to it

Happy reading...it's a mega thread!

How to go BB

do you know that what i am looking for (how to keep a bb clean without a powerhead directly on the bottom) is in that thread? i have not read the 20some odd pages yet, but have already found a copy of that article on thereeftank.com, and it isn't really what i need, it is instructions on how to convert from a dsb to a bb setup, not so much maintenance (but if you think what i need is in there, please let me know. i can't read 2? pages and realize it wasn't about maintenance

It probably isn't.....because that is a key component of BB'ism!

That being said, as long as you're armed with a turkey baster and a siphon hose...weekly vaccuuming will do the trick, but you have to be able to access the detritus piles.

I guess that is the trick to have access to all the detritus piles in and around and behind your rockwork...not an easy task sometimes depending how your rock is set up .....

Currently, I have a barebottom tank. However, I'm in the process of getting stuff together to upgrade to a drilled 29 gallon tank, and I plan to have some coarse sand in there. The bare bottom has been successful, but for some reason i want to try going back to sand. I plan on getting a cucumber and a sand sifting starfish to help keep it clean

Hey Steve,

What a coincidence!!! I plan on upgrading to a drilled 29 gallon tank and have a 20 gallon sump as well. Bought the skimmer and bulkheads for the setup. Where do you plan on buying your tank? Are you getting one custom made, having the holes drilled, or drilling them yourself? I see you are in Columbia..Im down in Silver Spring. There are a few of us MD people on here..maybe we can get a coral order together to split the shipping costs, a few months from now after we get our tanks up. I know a few others that might be interested too...

What corals are you planning on having in your setup? I thought about going BB but I bought 30 lbs of sand just in case I change my mind. I am afraid that the flow will cause a sandstorm however. With the SPS and LPS corals, wont the coarse stuff trap too much dietrus? Also, I read that some organisms have a difficult time with the coarse stuff..often the coarse sand has sharp points and rough edges that can damage some inverts. What size sand were you planning on going with???

Archived