Cultivated Reef

Gobies and powerheads dont mix

technoshaman

I bought two big aqua clear powerheads to replace my cheap ass Rios in my reef tank. So I get home, get them installed and fire em up. I liked these since they have variable flow and you can angle the direction of the outake spout. Also you can reverse flow. Well I thought it might be a bit strong but figured I'd wait till tomorrow after class to fine tune em. I get home and do a fish count about 3pm. Hmm missing a goby. I look at the trigger but it is about as wimpy as a trigger can get and runs from my cleaner shrimp even. New powerheads and missing a goby? So I take the intake spout off one of the powerheads and sure enough my older goby got sucked in and killed. I stuffed polyfilter rolled up so it makes it harder for fish to get stuck in the suction but still wish I'd pay attention. Just a friendly FYI for those keeping lil fish with mighty powerheads.

That sucks Techno!

Goby: "I wonder were this cool current is coming from?" Duh

Of subject, but you're niger doesn't MOW on your shirmp or smaller species?

I tried to pick a 'reef safe' trigger. It was down to Niger and Bluethroat. Both are planktivores and so far so good. From what I have been told they should be added last in the tank which is what I did. He leaves the shrimp alone and the only thing I've seen him sample my serpent star (actually he was going for food the serpent kept taking from his cave) and once he nipped at my xenia (he'd be doing me a favor gardening that stuff). Knock on wood I like him and if need be I have a 75 gallon tank that's going to be FOWLR he can go into if he turns into a terror. For the most part he's painfully shy and after 3 weeks has just now started to swim in the open when people are around.

Archived