ReefCleaners.org

Can I do it?

alligator's wife

alligator's wife

I currently have a 3.5 gallon fresh water tank (made by Eclipse). It is an acrylic tank, has a Bio-wheel (and carbon filter) and a 15watt flourecent light. My husband has been doing saltwater fish and reefs for the past few years and I would like to start my own tank. I love the idea of a nano reef. I see that it is possible to have such a small set up like my 3.5 gal tank for a nano-reef.

My question for any one... Can I use this tank and convert it over to support a nano reef?

From what I read today, it doesn't appear that I need a skimmer etc. Just LR and live sand to filter. Of course I need a heater. Do I need a pump or will the bio-wheel work? How about the lights?

This was my first freshwater tank and my first message board post (yikes!).

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

hey alli,

First, welcome to NanoReef! Gotta ask... you say hubby has been doing reefs for a few years? Hmmm, what does HE say? Doe he think yer nuts?...lol

As far as your tank... no reason not to turn it into a nano. Few pounds or rock and sand and that's all you'll need for filtration. You can use the built in pump/filter arrangement for water movement... personally I would ditch the wheel though. (just use the search feature and you'll find some discussions about them,hehe). Depending on what you want to keep in the way of corals is going to determine if your light is adequate or not... not sure what the "stock" lighting is in them but I've yet to see anybody that's posted here that has not upgraded the lighting in their Eclipse hoods. One of our sponsors here, AHSupply has a nice little 13 watt kit, one or two of those... run over to HelloLights and get your bulbs and you'll be stylin'... ;)

EDIT: Oops I see now where you say a 15 watt flourescent.... the right K(temp) color on that and it would prolly do ya for some shrooms... Wow, I'll have to look at those tanks next time I hit PetNo for dog chow... I didn't know you could fit a 15 watt NO over those... or is it a PC? *ramble ramble ramble* okay, enough... good luck with your tank and look forward to a post in the members section showing it off! :)

alligator's wife

Thanks all!

I am obviously most concerned about the lighting in the tank. I have to figure out all the terms about lighting to first see if the lighting will work! I have gone on Hello Lights to see if I can even buy a replacement light (hopefully that will help determine what kind of light it is...)But I can't seem to find any info about eclipses samller than the 12 gal.

Yes, my hubby says go for it and is helping me. But he said to go to the experts on line to see if anyone has some suggestions. :) He has never done a nano reef but thinks they are a great.

I saw a 50/50 13watt light on Hello Lights, but I don't know if it will fit.

BTW I did see the discussion on Bio-wheels, last night!

So much to learn! (I just started looking into nano reefs 2 days ago!) :)

Archived