Cultivated Reef

DIY 20 gallon stand canopy combo

calvin415

A buddy of mine asked me to build an inexpensive stand/canopy combo for his 20 gallon that he's planning on using as a nano reef. The stand can hold a 10 gallon tank for a sump, and there is enough height for me to also add a large auto top off reservoir allowing the tank to litterally go for weeks on it's own (at least that is what is planned). The canopy is hinged to the back and allows it to swing freely out of the way to work on the tank. The structure connecting the two allow the unit to be placed against a wall and easily hides all his plumbing since he will need to drill the tank for filtraion. :) Here's a link to some pics, sorry they aren't great, I was in a hurry, but I'll take some better close ups once it's done. Trim and finishing work is all that's left. :D

http://www.tankblogger.com/ViewAlbum.aspx?TID=12

Very nice. Can you give us a rough break down of materials and cost? I need the final kick in the ass to get going on building my own! :lol:

LOL!!!

2x4's (5@2.79)

2x2's (2@1.99)

1x2's (3@1.19)

which make up the frame of the tank cost 21.50 screws I already had.

Skinning the tank took 1 1/2 sheets of 1/4" oak ply 39.97

Trim I bought and made other trim piece along with the door from oak stock totaling another 60.00

Glue I already had but is about 2.79 a bottle

Clamps, tablesaw, router, and compound miter I already had but will really cost if you don't already have them.

Hardware

Door hinges pair for 5.99

Canopy hinge 7.99

So about 140.00 in supplies and I'd probably sell it for 250.00+ if it weren't for a good friend. It could be done a little cheaper if it weren't 6ft tall, and you could cut a lot of costs in materials if it were painted instead of stained.

Hope this helps and feel free to ask any other questions you might have. :)

Greenlight2001

Wow. Thanks for the detailed run down. I've been lurking on Nano-Reef for a while, but only recently became a member.

I've been debating as to whether I want to try and make a setup as small and compact as possible, or whether it should be more of a piece of fine furniture and stand out in the room. Your fine handy work has pushed me toward the latter. I've got the tools and skills (i hope :P ) to make it, I just needed to see a really nice example like yours to get me jump started. I'll have to play around with the dimensions though, I think I want to stay at/under 10 gallons. Something that big might overpower a tank that size. But the general look and design of what you did is what I'd like to repeat.

Wow. Thanks for the detailed run down. I've been lurking on Nano-Reef for a while, but only recently became a member.

I've been debating as to whether I want to try and make a setup as small and compact as possible, or whether it should be more of a piece of fine furniture and stand out in the room. Your fine handy work has pushed me toward the latter. I've got the tools and skills (i hope :P ) to make it, I just needed to see a really nice example like yours to get me jump started. I'll have to play around with the dimensions though, I think I want to stay at/under 10 gallons. Something that big might overpower a tank that size. But the general look and design of what you did is what I'd like to repeat.

Well then let me be the first to say "WELCOME!" Good luck with your build and hope to see pics of it!

what kind of lighting will be going in the hood?

A 250W SE MH w/ spider reflector.

Thanks for the comments everyone!

Very cool!

Thanks Aaron, you actually gave me the idea bro! :) I pitched the idea to Jeremy and he liked it to much he paid me to build him one! Have you checked out tankblogger.com recently? Jeremy is really building some sweet tools for us reefers! :)

Pics are updated with tonight's progress...

Beautiful work... I'm sure it will be stunning when system is installed and complete. Love the idea of the hinged hood... however did you realize that the unit will need to remain a significant distance from the wall to accomodate the hood when open?

I'm a newbie to this site and this hobby..... currently in research mode before establishing my first system.

Again... beautiful unit. Thanks for posting.

Tom

Thanks nortom, and WELCOME!

Actually it will be able to go right against the wall, it only opens that far currently because there isn't a wall for it to rest against. :)

A really good price. If you were going to make them for other people I'd charge more. $100.00 labor is giving them away.

Thanks Tony, If I could find a market for them, I'm sure I'd figure a way to make some money... :)

looks good. Reminds me of the one I made. What color are you going to stain it?

I'm not sure what the guy I built it is going to do for color, but I think it will be a golden oak... I'm sure I'll see some pics once he get's it done. :)

Archived