SaltCritters.com

Elephant Nose

tbeck

New Reefer here. Have strange looking hitchiker critter, snail? Appologize for no pic but cannot zoom in enough to get a clear shot. Have a 1/2 inch critter with an oval turtle shaped shell. Shell is milky white with some purple swirls. Eyes at base of antennae and widely separated. Blows pellets from tubes where ears should be. Has an elephant like vacuum tube nose and a big ugly foot. What the +*#$@ is this? And is he the one eating my purple and blue Corraline growth?

Set up particulars. Tank has been on-line for 2 weeks now. Has not begun to cycle. Some Corraline activity. Lots of unknown other critters, birstle worms, feather dusters,flat worms etc., and cricket looking things that are doing battle.

Tank is an 11 gallon Via Aqua

12 Pounds Cured LR (I believe Fiji)

7 Pounds Argonite

50 Watt Ebo-Jager Heater

Stock Lighting, Filter and Power Head

Temp 79

PH 8.3

0 Nitrates or Ammonia

the "elephant nose" could be a nassarius snail too. you've prolly got a lil coralline die-off from the trauma of shipping/changing tanks. doubtful that the monsters are eating it. i'd be more concerned about the crickets doing battle-how big are these crickets? if they're tiny like 1/4" jobs they're prolly just amphipods but if they're full blown locust i pity you!

tg

I thought Conchs had a more elongated and pointy shell. This guys shell does resemble a turtle shell...elyptical and smooth. There are additional whips trailing off the back of the shell. His foot really looks like cotton.

Archived