SaltCritters.com

xenia & gorgonian question

phrases37

i'm contemplating purchasing the red sea xenia small and the purple blade gorgonian from premium aquatics...can anyone give me any advice on how to place them in my tank?

i've got an eclipse 12 with the 32w smartlite...

thanks...

I have no experience with this, but I posted the exact same questions for red sea xenia here and reefcentral.com, about 2 days ago. You could search for those threads. Basicly, I was told they are hard to seed, so it would be good to get one attached to a rock. Otherwise, people said LR rubble was a good way to attach it to at first, and then seed the rubble. One suggestion was to put a little rubbermaid container with holes in your tank seeded with LR rubble, and let it sit for a couple days in the container.

us caution when placing xenia in your tank. I have it growing like a weed in the worst spot (dead center and in front on the rock) and it croawds out my sps corals, my zoos and anything else it can get it's slimy base to grow on. try putting it to one side of the tank, near the glass as it will then, hopefully, grow onto the glass and not onto your other inhabitants. If the glass growth gets out of hand, razor it off and trade it for other goodies, or store credit at your lfs.

as for the gorgonia, I have had mixed results with the purple blade in various tanks over the years so I won't bother giving advice other than, skip the blade and get something else.

thanks for the advice...

i'm totally new to this stuff so i have to ask...when you refer to seeding the xenia, what exactly do you mean by that?

thanks for the info on the blades...will do...

he is referring to getting the xenia to attach to rock. often, when you get xenia frags they come unattached and they are easily moved by the current so you can place the frag colony on a rock and it can easily be moved, swept up in the current and lost in the tank somewhere until it starts growing out of the hole it fell into. The best way to get the colony to attach is to place it in a very low current area on a small rock. Then, once it attaches, you can glue the rock anywhere you like.

i've read many posts about gluing, but the one thing i'm totally in the dark about is if the gluing is done outside the tank or inside the tank...cause if it's done outside the tank, aren't you not supposed to be moving your lr around?

totally new and confused

Archived