Coral Vue Hydros

The Night Life

SoS

I've been doing some research on moonlights and finally broke out my soldering iron and put one together.

The fixture goes the length of my 29Gal

night005C.jpg

Whole tank didn't show up very well But I'm telling you the shimmer from the LEDs is incredible I think it looks better than the daylights.

night001C.jpg

Power supply, wire, and board I butchered from stuff I had laying around. The LED's and chrome reflectors I got from Radio Shack(but you can order online alot cheaper).

Originally posted by Crakeur

I thought that first shot was photographic proof that we are not alone.

Nano-Reefs the final Frontier:D

Originally posted by whooozyooodady

That is really awesome.  How much did the whole thing cost you (if you don’t mind me asking)?

$8 6-- 5mm 2600mcd Blue LEDs 1.12$ total online 3.99 each at radio shack

$6 6 chrome LED reflectors

$4 2 pieces 29" X 4" plywood homedepot

$free$ Power Convertor $free$ cannabalized it $12 radio shack

$3 Black RTV

$free$ Couple feet of 24 guage wire $free$ cannabalized it

$6 photo sensor switch

$2 toggle switch

$29 total

Tools: Band Saw(optional) any saw will work, Power drill, Soldering iron, screwdriver, needlenose, electrical tape, Flux capacitor, and a little improvising.

Originally posted by "333"

I feel really dumb asking this but what's a $3 Black RTV, and did you get the $6 6 chrome LED reflectors at radio shack.

RTV(gel silicone)does just about anything. But most people know it in the automotive business for making seals. In Electonics it works very well as a waterproofer and a dab of it will hold down a pesky loose wire like nothing else. I used it in this setup to waterproof the back of a switch that was partially exposed.

The chrome Reflectors come in two packs at radio shack for a 1.99

I almost positive you could find them online for much cheaper.

Chris should probably move this to DIY its gone from a hey look at my new pics to a Q&A. No problem I Love to share.

Originally posted by Djm9288

That looks soo cool! I wisj I would ddo somethink like that on my tanks, but mine are in my bed room. Are they bright enough to keep one awake?

Well I added a toggle switch on mine so i could turn it off if I wanted and there probably not bright enough to keep you awake, but the shimmer effect on the water might make your see the boogy man or something. eerie blue in a pitch dark room.:*( :P

Originally posted by LakerFan

what type of power converter did you use? Where can i order all this stuff online?  

Thanks for your help.  Oh and more pics please!!!!!!!!!!1

Actually its all store purchased or cannabilized but I have been looking into it and you can do all of the purchasing on-Line. I've got a temporary powersupply on it. Its a 3-12V variable power adapter(radio shack). I adjusted it for 4 volts. I'm looking into a wholesaler online to get good dirt cheap prices on 4 volt power adapters.

Originally posted by lizbeth

Very Sexy! Drool. I really, really want it.

Soon hopefully you can. I am working on a circuit board for it and was negotiating with an LED supplier. Hopefully I'll be in production on the first units within a month.

I'm going to breadboard my production design and let it burn nonstop for a week or so to prove reliability. If everything seems to be stable. I start a limited production word of mouth like around nano-reef.

My largest problem is the large assortment of lighting fixtures found around here. nobodies got the same setup. I was thinking for starters makin strips that could mount underneath your hood facing vertically down, later a clip on model, and custom work.

why not make it like a retrofit? or just provide sum glue so taht ppl can glue it into their canopy or striplight or w.e. btw VERY NICE! i likes the lookee

nishant

Originally posted by Nishant3789

why not make it like a retrofit? or just provide sum glue so taht ppl can glue it into their canopy or striplight or w.e. btw VERY NICE! i likes the lookee

nishant

That's one of the options I'm going to do. they are very light so velcro glue or small screws would hold it nicely between or next to an existing light fixture.

Archived