inTank Media Baskets

Adding Corals Assistance Needed

NewbieNanoReefer

NewbieNanoReefer

I recently Started a Nano-Reef Tank:

20 High Tank w/ 20Lbs Live Sand / 14 Lbs Fiji Live Rock

Salinity 1.023 - 1.024 / Temp 78 F

Fluval 204 Canister

110 Watts PC lighting (1 Actinic 1 10000K)

2 Powerhead 201's

1 Marineland Seaclone 100 Skimmer

Tronic 100 Watt Heater

I have 14 lbs of Fiji Live Rock, im going to add about 5-7lbs more. I wanted to know when the tank is done cycling if there would be any problems if i added the following corals and if anyone is kind enought to explain to me how to get them to grow onto the live rock or attach them. The corals that i want to add are listed below.

Green Finger Leather

Brown Star Polyps

Brown Toad Stool

Blue Tip Stag Horn

Mushrooms

Brn Finger Leather

Brown-Green Button Polyps

Brown Montipora Digitata

Plate Coral

Finger Leather

Keng Yew, Leong

Ok ,about adding corals.I assume that tey are loose frags.You can paste them onto your liverock with somekind of reefglue that is available at certain fishy places.For me,I just wedge them into some crevices on the liverock and wait for them to anchor.The places you put your corals should be suitable.(light,flow and temperament).I think the staghorn needs plenty of light right?Put it near the surface since your tank is a 20high.Hope I can help and good luck...

printerdown01

Ok, some corals are much harder to keep than others:

SPS (small polyped stonies) are probably the most difficult: these include the monti digi and the staghorn that you listed above. On top of that they aren't great candidates to be kept in a tank with mushroom -as shrooms like to bail off and land next to them. The shrooms will sting and irratate the coral, and the tissue will begin to pull back exposing the skeleton of the coral. If you do keep them keep everything from touching the SPS (actually it is wise to give every coral its own "space").

Plate corals are probably the next difficult... So I would add them after everything else. Keep in mind that you want to build the reef slowly. Don't add everything at once. Most corals will come on their own rocks, you simply have to place them in the tank. If they do not come attached and come as fresh frags, simply superglue them (superglue is non-toxic and was actually used to glue people back together in Vietnam in the absence of stitches) to the rocks. Once they have a little glue to hold them in place the will generally attach themselves.

I agree do not add all corals at once especially if those are the first corals start with shrooms and button polyps and then go from there. Once you established that your tank is going good and you can add more difficult coral. Take a look at Jeff's exotic fish for a great deal 9 for 99 dollars about 25 for shipping depending on where you live. the website is exoticfish.com and you'll see the 9 for 99 special!

Archived