Cultivated Reef

Patron Pico

Hobo Reefer

so, i have this empty bottle of patron and i was thinkin....how cool would it be to convert this into a lil pico set-up. i thought about maybe runnin an airline tube down for slight water movement. not sure what to do for filtration yet, or lighting....but the idea has been sparked in my brain to use this 750ml container for something other than storing alcohol. i dunno, as far as inhabitants, i was thinkin a zoanthid rock, maybe a mushroom....a small snail, and maybe.........maybe.........a cleaner shrimp.

any constructive input would be greatly appreciated as i haven't even really gone past the imaginative stages yet on this. i think it can be done, and may even prosper. i just haven't come up with the execution of said set-up.

well the botle is like 1" diameter, and i was only planning on using fragments of live rock. most of the zoas i own are attached to small pieces of rock. it'd be a simple matter of sliding the rock down the opening, maybe get some tongs to reposition stuff. as far as mushrooms go, they split and deattach from rock all the time. i'll just grab one that hasn't reattached to anything yet and drop it down the hole.

the whole point was to recreate the whole ship in a bottle illusion. put a small coral fragment in, or a colony coral in, and let it develop into something slightly larger.

i'm not planning on keeping like 15 different corals, fish, and various other inverts.

i recognise this bottle is really really tiny. i just wana see if i can keep some zoanthids alive and hopefully get them to spread.

you game me a GREAT idea. (un)fortunately it means i'll have to down a bottle of patron. oh well... why not cut the top of the bottle off so you have a cool bowl to work with instead? then you would have no problem getting stuff in and out. this would make cleaning the tank easier too.

is the lettering on the bottle a sticker or painted on?

very cool idea btw

andykee, thanks for the support. as far as the bottle itself goes...there are stickers for labels, but bottle itself is handcrafted and has patron reverse etched on one side.

i thought about removing the top portion but for starters i fear that may ruin the integrety of the structure, plus it detracts from the original feel which is "mini reef in a bottle".

brent...how would i closed loop the system? any ideas would be great.

You're probably going to have to drill the glass and plumb it from the bottom or the side.

Is the bottle going to stand up, or are you going to lay it on its side?

• 2 weeks later...
Hobo Reefer

if i try this project at all, the bottle was going to be standing up. unfortunately, as of right now i'm unmotivated to really do anything with it. if any of you feel like taking the idea and running with it, feel free. it'd be interesting to see what people would be willing to do with a bottle of alcohol besides consuming it's original contents and becoming wildly inebriated and inappropriate (not that anyone would do that)

so, i have this empty bottle of patron and i was thinkin....how cool would it be to convert this into a lil pico set-up. i thought about maybe runnin an airline tube down for slight water movement. not sure what to do for filtration yet, or lighting....but the idea has been sparked in my brain to use this 750ml container for something other than storing alcohol. i dunno, as far as inhabitants, i was thinkin a zoanthid rock, maybe a mushroom....a small snail, and maybe.........maybe.........a cleaner shrimp.

any constructive input would be greatly appreciated as i haven't even really gone past the imaginative stages yet on this. i think it can be done, and may even prosper. i just haven't come up with the execution of said set-up.

Dude, I think you thought this up after a few too many shots.

The glass on Patron bottles is very irregular because of the handcrafted nature of the bottle and the neck of the bottle is too narrow to work with,

but keep up the shots & the pico dream.

Call me if you need help…..… with the Patron, not the pico.

CRAVIN CRITTERS

I have been wanting to do somthing similar to this for a long time but ive been waiting for a good bottle I'm a teenager and no one in my family drinks. If I get this together I will start a thread on it.

brent-konieczny

Use a handle of morgan to do a tank. It would be way easier cause its bigger. I would saw off the top. Just get together with 3 other friends have fun and make a tank.

omgomgomg:blink::happydance::haha: (that would be you and your friends after making room for the tank)

Archived