Pod Your Reef

any water experts out there?

reefriot

got a question about RO/ or DI

i sold my large ro/di awhile back and have been buying ro water from a damm machine for 35 cents a gal. well i was digging through crap out in the garage and came across a filter housing and a partially spent DI filter. so i hooked it up to my carbon filter on my sink faucet and check the water with my TDS meter. it showed a reading of 3ppm. now the water i was buying shows a reading of 5ppm. think i'm safe using just DI water for changes and make-up for the next 2-3 weeks until my new RO unit shows up? or are there other things in the water that the TDS meter doesn't pick up and that the ro membrane removes?

thanks for any help

aaron

hey reefriot-

DI is great water-its just spendy to produce-that's why most people run DI only after RO-extends the life of your cartridge. TDS just stands fer total dissolved solutes-so you're not missing anything cuz there really isn't anything there. i'd trust your DI way more than that crap store water (but i'm a hypocrit who buys my water at supervalu). you never know when that store cartridge is gonna start to deteriorate. obviously though you have the TDS and can test easily. either way you should be just fine. HTH!

tg

there is a few threads I recently posted in advanced forum to the effect of Tid bit of truth about RODI (and in).

don't know what you are looking for exactly, but HTH. ???

Archived