Pod Your Reef

Need opinions on the CPR AquaFuge Refugium

C@sey

I'm thinking about picking up the CPR AquaFuge 18" x 4" x 12" hang-on-back refugium. I came to this decision based on the available room I have. The refugium would be more for keeping a good population of pods, etc. than for filtering. Before I order it up, I'd like to hear some opinions from anyone who has used or currently uses one. Thanks in advance.

I have the smallest aquafuge on my 7 gallon and I love it. No problems (yet and knocking on wood). The fuge has bulged a bit in the middle but who hasn't bulged a bit in the middle as they got older?

My works fine. Bulged in middle a bit after 8 months. Gets the job done. I like the glass fuge someone had made. The pump is inside the fuge. Search this site for the link. About the same price as a CPR. Even has a nice pic of it operating. Mine seems to supply a good population of pods and macroalgae. Its lit by a 13 watt PC 24/7. Just added 3 peppermint shrimp. I hope they spawn and supply larvae for the corals to feed on. We shall see.

I have a DIY fuge 24x5x18" It's the same lenght and slightly higher than my tank. I used a pretty thick sheet of acrylic just to prevent too much bulging.

As far a using a rio, well I initially used it to feed my fuge, then I took it out and just used it for my skimmer instead. Now I use a AquaClear 90 to feed water to the fuge.

But as far as the Fuge, I love it. I noticed a lot more pods and my caulerpa is starting to take off. I also dose and top-off in there, plus my skimmer is setup in the sump area. If I want to get rid of it I'll just some LR in it's place! Now my 12g as about 18g of total water. Not too bad.

I really like the Aquaclear idea. Its been running around in my head for about 6 months. My son's tank has one and I just haven't gotten around to buying the light for it.

Archived