Cultivated Reef

Dead nass. snail - causes?

sammydee

Hi.

I got some more cleanup crew for my tank yesterday. I got 6 nass. snails, 3 trochus and a cleaner shrimp. I still want to add some more hermits and maybe a conch. I already had four astrea snails and one hermit.

One of my nass. snails is dead already. It's shell is lying on the sand and when I looked inside it had some snail "flesh" and some wispy bits floating out.

Is it possible that the cleaner shrimp or solitary hermit killed it? Could it have been mortally hurt on exposure to the air?

Perhaps I should mention it to the shop and see if I can get another one.

Sam

nass. snails die all the time. Whether a hermit got him or it was just a dud from the get go is hard to say. As long as your water params are all in check i wouldnt worry too much about it.

wow i pay .99 cents for one snail. I would tell them what happened and see what they say. Probably a total loss though. I know around here they wouldnt give you a new snail because one died. Try and see what happens. Best of luck to you. Just make sure before you put more in that your water params. are good.

Yeah acclimated with a drip for an hour. I didn't want to leave it much longer cause the water was getting a bit cold. That might have been the problem actually. Meh, it's no big loss.

Sam

Archived