Coral Vue Hydros

Eclipse hood owner with Nitrate problems...no more!

Chief Brody

I have owned my Eclipse 2 hood for about 1 year now and used to run it with the bio-wheel out and an empty filter pad. I would wash out the pad daily and replace it. I was never able to reduce my nitrate readings from 20 to anything lower than 15. I had 27lbs of rock in the tank, no skimmer, 3" DSB. i fed lightly and changed water by 20% every week. NOTHING WORKED

Well, I recently decided to try an experiment, i shut down the mech filter on the Eclipse hood, cleaned out any leftover debris in the filter bed and eliminated it all togther. No carbon, no bio wheel, no filter pad.

i added a Berlin Air Lift 60 skimmer, another 13lbs of cured live rock and a brittlestar about 1 month ago. I continued with the WCs every other week and finally for the first time last night i got a ZERO reading on the the nitrates....I was so damned happy i wanted to jump around like a fool. My dogs thought it was great!

i don't know if the Eclipse mech filter was the cause or the extra rock, or maybe a combo of it all...whatever it was I am just happy to be at zero.

Oh and I also run Algone pads...the stuff is great. My glass is spotless, no hair algae ever, no cyano, nothing, never.

Dr. Drew, your signature killed me!!

Algone is pretty good stuff, several others use it wiht good results. It's a small pouch similar to a tea bag, not T-Bag.

I keep it in the tank and change it once a month. It claims to help eliminate algae of all sorts. Like i stated above, i have used it for a long on all of my tanks, FW and SW wiht great results.

Here's a link:

www.algone.com

Archived