Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Salt and corals

SplendidWarrior

SplendidWarrior

Hello,

I'm a newbie in nano reefs and I was just wondering if someone would be able to tell me if soft corals such as leather corals are sensitive to undissolved salt.

I was sprinkling some salt into my tank to increase the SG and some of the salt settled on one of my leather corals. The part where the salt has settled are now whitish in color and its not 'pimpled' like the rest of the coral.

Have I caused some irrepairable damage to it?

Mike

Um, bad idea. If you want to raise the SG, do your topoffs with seawater until it's where you want it. Corals are not french fries and do not appreciate being sprinkled with salt.

I would think the leather will be OK if just a small amount of salt settled on it, they're pretty tough. If it doesn't look to be improving, take a sharp blade and cut out the damaged tissue.

IT'S-IN-MY-EYES! ARRRRGH!

:o

satch's right, raw salt and corals do not mix. you 'burn' them basically by doing that. that's why you gotta be careful with salt creep. (tiny doesn't practice what he preaches tho X) ).

squirt the salt off quick if it happens to fall onto anything. it should dissolve in seconds tho, depending on the size of the chunk.

SplendidWarrior

Just check on the corals this morning and they seem to be OK now. I guess I didn't do to much damage as only a tiny bit of salt was involved.

Thanks people!

Originally posted by chvynva916

I know my brain shrivels up for days if I drop a piece of "salt creep" on it.  

I'm sorry but I found that to be truly hysterical. Maybe it's just me and maybe it isn't but perhaps you should consider a new method for getting high.

this makes me think of this skit on "Kids in the Hall" this guy is at a banquet and zoning out looking at the salt shaker. You keep hearing him thinking 'What was that mom said about salt? Was it put salt in your eye?' so he puts salt in his eye and falls on the floor screaming in the midst of the banquet. I guess you'd have to see it but the salt on the brain just made me think of that skit.

Archived