Coral Vue Hydros

Saltwater Ich/Crypto Treatments/Cures/Legends

Big Al

I would like to hear how everyone treats saltwater ich/crypt and what the long term results are. I would like to know how the fish are 3 months later. maybe say like treatments including chemical, no chemical and improved diet and supplements, hyper/hypo salinity. and would like to also ask whether you let the tank go without fish and if there are any problems with the crypt after the treatments Anyone care to say?

I will start it by saying that I did a freshwater dip on one of two sick clowns only to kill him within 12 hours. The other one seemed to do better with mysis shrimp but I was unable to find the selcon stuff and the garlic actually turned the clown off of wanting mysis. My tank is now without fish so far for just over 2 weeks I will tell you in about 3 more whether going fallow worked in helping remove the crypt. I have taken this time without fish to start on coral and now have rapidly growing xenia, a growing torch coral, and a rock of mushrooms. All but the mushrooms are looking great think the 96w of pc on a 10 maybe to much for them but moved them today to a shady spot so we will see.

FW dip- Works in quick cases where you need the fish to show no signs of disease but needs immediate attention afterwards concerning health and imune system. If you arent ready to treat the fish as an outpatient after this treatment, dont do it.

hyposalinity- can work for really finiky and or fish that always get sick. Also good for stores that run fish only and seperate invert systems (fish system can stay at a lower SG). Good to keep new fish from spreading disease. Not a miracle cure, a way to keep the impending disease from showing up. Allows the fish to still live in sub-standard conditions.

Copper- another fish store fix. this can help runa highly populated fish-only system where new fish are constantly added with or without QT procedure beforehand. It is harsh on the animal, and can lead to immune system problems if kept within a copper medicated tank for too long. Another fix that you'll need to treat a treated fish as an outpatient, really trying to "reboot" the animal after disease. Does not always work by any means.

other medications -over the counter- usually are copper based in some way. Even reef safe types. "reef safe" medications are iffy to use b/c they do not tell you what is in them. Nothing at all. (it's a "secret").

QT - this the TLC of treatment procedure for Cryptocaryon. The only procedure that treats the problem as well as the effect. Also the only procedure that allows you the upperhand over disease since it is best applied BEFORE the fish gets sick. (meaning you need to guess that your fish from anywhere, online , local, what have you have been subjected to the 4 above medication practices. You now need to treat the fish as an outpatient.) Buy your fish, QT it alone for one month. You'll love life after you get used to doing this.

If you QT your fish AFTER it's sick, it's the best situation for you and your tank. not to mention the fish. That way, on the smaller QT tank you can apply water changes and direct feeding methods (you'll want to feed variety and a lot of it, so water changes are a must.). one month of QT will work great.

HTH. Any questions, please ask.

QT - this the TLC of treatment procedure for Cryptocaryon. The only procedure that treats the problem as well as the effect. Also the only procedure that allows you the upperhand over disease since it is best applied BEFORE the fish gets sick. (meaning you need to guess that your fish from anywhere, online , local, what have you have been subjected to the 4 above medication practices. You now need to treat the fish as an outpatient.) Buy your fish, QT it alone for one month. You'll love life after you get used to doing this.

If you QT your fish AFTER it's sick, it's the best situation for you and your tank. not to mention the fish. That way, on the smaller QT tank you can apply water changes and direct feeding methods (you'll want to feed variety and a lot of it, so water changes are a must.). one month of QT will work great.

I really think this is where I went wrong, but wont make that mistake again. BTW I think your treatments sound right on the money. That why I did this I really want to hear the long term after effects from some who have used copper as a treatment and what effects it has after a few months back in a clean tank. Also wanted to hear from folks who have waited after ich and the ones who have put fish in immediately after a case of ich without going fallow

FW dip- Works in quick cases where you need the fish to show no signs of disease but needs immediate attention afterwards concerning health and imune system. If you arent ready to treat the fish as an outpatient after this treatment, dont do it.

hyposalinity- can work for really finiky and or fish that always get sick. Also good for stores that run fish only and seperate invert systems (fish system can stay at a lower SG). Good to keep new fish from spreading disease. Not a miracle cure, a way to keep the impending disease from showing up. Allows the fish to still live in sub-standard conditions.

Copper- another fish store fix. this can help runa highly populated fish-only system where new fish are constantly added with or without QT procedure beforehand. It is harsh on the animal, and can lead to immune system problems if kept within a copper medicated tank for too long. Another fix that you'll need to treat a treated fish as an outpatient, really trying to "reboot" the animal after disease. Does not always work by any means.

other medications -over the counter- usually are copper based in some way. Even reef safe types. "reef safe" medications are iffy to use b/c they do not tell you what is in them. Nothing at all. (it's a "secret").

thats basically all you can do...if my fish get it...i feed mysis, and but vitamin A, and b12 in the water....i just let them wait it out!!

Archived