Cultivated Reef

can hammers hurt other corals?

BRIANSTINYREEF

Yes, LPS corals like hammers, frogspawn, and torch corals do sting other corals. They will usually be ok touching eachother but other corals usually close/die from the stings. You will want to make sure they have lots of room around them to keep everything alive.

Cameron

• 3 weeks later...
quiksilver5768

hey now, i have 2 hammers in my tank and they're great. They are NOTHING compared to galaxia. Depending on the size of the hammer, its sweepers can be avoided if it is kept comfortably and out of close area of other corals. Dont let it touch another coral, give it some room between the corals. If it is still sending out sweepers and hurting everything in the tank...then get rid of it...

Quicksliver, no. It was directed at sjfishguy. Sorry about the confusion.

I'd still like to hear WHY he/she thinks a hammer is so bad for a nano. Too pretty? Too much movement? Stings? Shoots death-ray lasers our of the tips of its hammers?

We're all in this together. Its all about sharing the info.

Go Hamma, Go Hamma!!!!

Jimmie51 just brought back too many bad memories of baggie crotch pants!!

What quicksilver said. I have a hammer coral and it has plenty of room around it so it's sweepers don't sting anyone else. So far, everyone is happy and doing great!

Move your hammer coral to a place where it won't come in contact with other corals and you should be fine. If that isn't the case, then look to take it back.

• 1 month later...

I am currenly keeping Euphylia and Galaxea in a 20 gal nano with no ill effects. But if placeed in correctly they can be Fatal to oher Inhabitants. My Euphylia(i.e. True Frog Spawn) is Aprox 5-6 in in diameter with 3 heads and requires about 4-5in of "space" around it. But wih carful use f water flow you can control the bulk of the sting. Example, I have a Toadstool Leather 3in Away. Now to the Galaxea . My Galaxea is about 2-3in and is one of the coolest corals in my tank. it ony neds 2-3in of "space." i Think that if you place Galaxea and Euphylia correctly and plan ahead for space requiremnts they are great for Nanos 10 gal and larger.

I am currenly keeping Euphylia and Galaxea in a 20 gal nano with no ill effects. But if placeed in correctly they can be Fatal to oher Inhabitants. My Euphylia(i.e. True Frog Spawn) is Aprox 5-6 in in diameter with 3 heads and requires about 4-5in of "space" around it. But wih carful use f water flow you can control the bulk of the sting. Example, I have a Toadstool Leather 3in Away. Now to the Galaxea . My Galaxea is about 2-3in and is one of the coolest corals in my tank. it ony neds 2-3in of "space." i Think that if you place Galaxea and Euphylia correctly and plan ahead for space requiremnts they are great for Nanos 10 gal and larger.??? ???

• 3 weeks later...

I have had a Hammer in a 6 gal nano for almost a year with no problems. I however have him in the back with pleanty of room so there in no chance of him touching other corals. The hammer looks great and is one of the more interesting pieces.

roger.........

Archived