Pod Your Reef

A cheap PVC skimmer

Mr. Fosi

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, I finally got it installed on the 5g. I think it looks a little absurd, but it works.

skimmer%20on%20the%205g%20p.jpg

skimmer%20on%20the%205g0%20p.jpg

All told, I think I spent around $35, but I have a lot of fittings and pipe that I haven't used.

I will have to do a lot less experimentation with the next one (if there is a next one). That will translate to less $$. I could make another one of these for about $20 and I think that is a lot better than $150.

I guess this thread will pass into obscurity, but it was fun wasn't it?

neanderthalman

Even the best threads vanish. I had no idea just how huge that skimmer is....it's definitely overkill.

Looks rather impressive and imposing behind that 5.5, like an obelisk of water polishing greatness.......

ProFlatlander15

this is an awesome thread mr. fosi. i am going to try and make me one of these. i have about 24" of 4" dia pvc at my house...and since i know it can be done now, i can't wait to get started. great DIY

... since i know it can be done now, i can't wait to get started. great DIY

Very cool. Post an update once you start it.

Just a quick update: Before I put this skimmer on the 5.5g I had a nasty film on my water, now it is gone.

I'm getting a few microbubbles in my tank, but I think that is an artifact of having the output feeding into the spillover of the AC70.

Well, I finally got it installed on the 5g. I think it looks a little absurd, but it works.

skimmer%20on%20the%205g%20p.jpg

LoL, That thing is friggen huge!! Props to you for its construction.

PS.

When I first saw this picture I was not sure if it was:

A. Protine Skimmer

or

B. The worst possible place to hide your bong

B. The worst possible place to hide your bong

:lol:

Yeah, that's what everyone at work said when they saw me carrying it around.

probably smells about the same too.... lol

Naa. It smells like nothing. I have a 3" test cap on top of the cup.

so what are the dimensions of the skimmer? i might have to make one for my 20H.

I am on my way out of the office and I will post them once I get home.

29" high

4" diameter

It could be done shorter, or with wider pipe.

In fact, I have already asked around to see if I know anyone that has some scrap pipe so that I can try a shorter/wider version.

I was looking into my tank earlier today and I noticed that the oily film was back on top of my water. Then I looked in my skimmer and saw that it wasn't skimming.

Rather than do anything, I just let it go. Now the film is gone and there is a stiff foam in the cup.

Strange...

• 2 weeks later...

I took the skimmer offline for now b/c I want to change the output.

I had real trouble controlling the splashes (and therefore salt creep) that were created by the water returning to the AC70.

I am thinking of modding the output with a bubble box and a spillway, but I haven't decided when/how to do it.

• 3 years later...

I have a random question that has nothing to do with this build. Why cant you put a air pump tube to the inlet of a venturi to increase air production? seems like it would work right?

Archived