Top Shelf Aquatics

What is this 'fuge bussniess I have been hearing about?

Iphantom

fuge=refugium. It is a separate tank that houses sand, usually some macro algae, and beneficial 'bugs'.

Say you have a 10 gal nano - you can make a fuge out of acrylic that hangs on the back; a powerhead pumps water from the main tank into the acrylic refugium, water passes through a planted area, then gets over-flowed back to the tank.

You also need some fluorescent lighting or better to light it.

There are many other ways of doing this; some even divide the main tank to hold a refugium

do I need one?

You don't need one, but it sure does help. Growing and harvesting macro algae is a form of nutrient export, which is beneficial to any tank; a natural form of skimming.

ok I have seen them and I have some questions...

I am going to pump it into the 'fuge with a powerhead but 1.shwhat do you mean by overflow? I dont get how it gets back to the tank another powerhead?

2.why does it need a heater...isnt it already heated from the main tank? and I thought you couldnt put heaters in acrilic or plastic tanks?

2.is lighting importent...it didnt seem to be-will a regular desk lamp do?

3.why did he(the guy who did the critter keeper one) drill holes in the sides why didnt he just put the tubes in from above?

4.How do I start to harvest micro alge?

I was planing on putting crushed fiji sand some live rock(like 3-5 pounds

what is that green stuff in the kritter keeper tank

it looks like some kind of plant-but I cant tell what-any info on those

hope you can anser all of my questions

thanks

-Matt

1) There is two ways you can go. Overflow or drill two holes with bulkheads. One pump as the water flows one way by gravity and pumed back. Or pumped in and gravity feed back to the tank. Depends if it is an above, below tank fuge or HOB.

2) You put your main tank heater in the sump/fuge so that it is no longer visable in the main tank. It doesn't touch the plastic so it will not hurt a plastic or acrilic sump/fuge.

For lighting a desktop PC(9 or 13 Watt) is fine or a clip on PC with a 50/50 or actinic bulb. The watts also depends on the size of fuge.

3) This is a tricky question to answer. Read up on overflows and bulkheads and you will find the answer to this one. Think power outage and what hapens to a gravity fed water with just a u or j tube then you will start seeing why it is a tricky setup which needs a lot of thought and planning before you decide what to do.

IMO for a 7Gal you might want to read up on HOB fuges built from HOB filters. Or the Critter keeper setup would work fine.

Hope that this will get you started on the info for a fuge and then you make your decision on what you want and then ask a few more questions on how to do it. Then you might change your mind and want to try a different way. Good luck with your choice.

My setup when I'm finnished will be a 25G main tank driled with bulkheads. Draining into a 10G (below the main tank) with the heater and maybe a skimmer? With a pump to go back to the main tank. There will be three chambers in the fuge. One area for the water to drain into where my heater will be as well. One area for the LS/LR, macro alge and skimmer. and then the last area will be for the return pump with maybe an automatic water topoff system.

Is this same exact post posted twice on this board? Please only post a certain thing once, 99% of the people on these boards use the "view new posts" button, it will be seen.

Spudds.

Archived