Cultivated Reef

Brittle stars OK, or to big?

fish n' pets

I was just wondering if a serpent brittle star would fit in a 12g nc DX. I know they eat ditritus, and that could be helpful. But i dont want to squish him in. Any suggestions?

i dunno but id like to kno lol cos ive seen them at my lfs but all u ever see of them is a couple of legs hanging out a hole in your reef lol :happy:
I know! I think they are cool, though. COME ON, somebody must know something!

all i can say is i had 1 of those tiger serpent stars in my 29 gal and it disappeared months ago. one day i noticed all these tiny white worm things sticking out from the rock. as i was going to remove the rock for further inspection i noticed 5 of them scooting across the rock, all attached to a central disc. then i took a close look at ALL my live rock and they where EVERYWHERE!! turnes out they were babies. so i took out like 7 of them and put them in my .5 gal the day i set it up and they've all been doing great. some grow faster than others but they're still relatively small. ill keep you posted on their progress. but to answer your question you should be fine with one as long as he has someplace to hide during the day.

minor detail i failed to mention: the babies were only about 1/4 across from one arm tip to the opposite one. so if possible id say start out with a small one if you can find one, half the fun is watchin em grow

Formerly MikeR.

Should be OK, i have one in my 25, he is cool to watch amazing how fast he is,espically at feeding time...However i lost my pep shrimp lately...think he was the culprit....he is a brittlestar brown/black stripes....

have seen some cool looking red ones around......they can be oppurtunists though, stay away from the Green brittlestar....they are know to eat fish

Yeah, I've heard green brittlestars can eat fishes. I think a brown and black striped brittle star is the one i'm looking at. But i thought those only ate ditritus. What else do you have in your tank? It could be something else. Or maybe the shrimp is hiding!

wow, i had 3 pep shrimp with my serpent and they disappeared too.... coincidence? i blame myself for not keeping up with the levels on that tank, they're sensitive to ph/nitrate changes. right now i have a sexy shrimp with all my stars and he's alive and well

wow, i had 3 pep shrimp with my serpent and they disappeared too.... coincidence? i blame myself for not keeping up with the levels on that tank, they're sensitive to ph/nitrate changes. right now i have a sexy shrimp with all my stars and he's alive and well
Well, i wasn't going to get pepermint shrimp anyway. I wanted a skunk cleaner. Well, whenever i get a chance, i'll get the serpent. I'll see how it turns out.
I think it might get a little big but will probley survive aslong as a bunch of snails dont steal his food.
Well, that won't be a problem! All my astrea snails died. I only have one turbo left and he is not eating much. Thanks for all the comments, guys.
LOL ur astrea died? what happen they eat up on there backs?
What does that mean? Eat up on there backs? Well, i have no idea why they died, cause my hermits and turbo all seem fine.

probably meant, "did they end up on their backs?" They're not able to flip themselves over when they're on their backs so they'll die if you don't help them out.

Yes, they were on their backs. They've ended up like that a couple times. Im not home all day to help them out. Hmmm....scary. Some weren't, though. I knew they were dead because they hadn't moved in a week, even when i put them someplace else. But most were on their backs.

Mini-brittles are the way to go. Way cool to see them waving their arms in the current, and giving you a high five when you get close (they like to latch on). They will multiply pretty easily if there is food to be found in your tank.

Mini-brittles are the way to go. Way cool to see them waving their arms in the current, and giving you a high five when you get close (they like to latch on). They will multiply pretty easily if there is food to be found in your tank.

i see em sometimes just floating arcoss the tank. they look helpless until they land on a rock and scoot away.

Hmmmm....I don't know what classifies as a mini-brittle. Don't think my LFS carries one, cause I've never seen one. At least i think i haven't.

:unsure:

i think he'sjust referring to the little new borns you see every now and then

i bought some brown polyps...and its helarious... there is like 10 baby brittle stars that host it..i rarely see em...they hide enbetween the polyps!

• 4 weeks later...

i know this is an old post, but did you consider a serpent star instead of a brittle? i find serpent stars so fun to watch, and when you put food in they know right away and come running out to eat. they scavenge but they also grab mysis shrimp and bring it into their mouths.

its really fun to watch.

Sparkling_Surfer

I've had a serpent star from day 1 as a hitchhiker on my live rock. He has black and white bands around his skinny arms. He used to barely be the size of my palm...now I'm sure it wouldn't be difficult for him to touch every corner in my 12dx if his disc was in the center of the tank! I never see his disk, he just waves his arms out all day and night. Obviously he is non-predatory. I affectionately call him Sammy :)

Archived