Innovative Marine Aquariums

Some type of Coral

Big Al

This tank is another 10g I started over 3 weeks ago, when I got the liverock it had this coral on it which I thought to be dead it was bleached white and didnt have the tentacles on it at all. I scrubbed it clean at that time it was covered with grunge and it was very hard so its definately some kinda stony coral. Now that the cycle is complete and the water is right it has gained back color and as you can see the hair like tentacles. The photo you see is slightly larger than actual size. The other coral that is just below that is what I believe to be aptasia and I have had a peppermint in for about 5 days with no luck. I am thinking of using joes juice on it but will the joes juice harm the other coral? Anyway thanks for looking and helping out.

Allen

post-17987-1140286363_thumb.jpg

That doesn't look like aiptasia to me. The tentacles on the on corals on the bottom look like the feeders that all LPS have. It's probably just another kind of LPS, I say you just leave it be.

i know what it is.. but i forget what its callled.. let me guess you have Tampa Bay LR???? let me go check there website.. brb with an answer

found it.. its called Tube Coral.. i had some but it didnt survive the cycle.. here is a link.. go to 20, 21, and 22

http://www.tbsaltwater.com/thepackage/organisms.html

Thats definately what I have now I guess I need to feed this and figure out how much light it should have. I will also get a better picture of the other thing in hopes we can either say yes or no on whether or not its aiptasia.

no they are two diff. things.. i have both.... way diff..(well the tube coral died in cycle)

the cup coral is more like a single or maybe two polyps.. the tube coral is much larger, there is more polyps, and protrudes [sp] from the rock more

no they are two diff. things.. i have both.... way diff..(well the tube coral died in cycle)

the cup coral is more like a single or maybe two polyps.. the tube coral is much larger, there is more polyps, and protrudes [sp] from the rock more

I think he was referring to the other aiptasia looking thing below the tube coral and after looking that may be right it migh be a cup coral. I will get some "mo betta" pictures when the camera charges I would just hate for it to be aiptasia and miss it and it spread.

Al,

See also some nice pics here of both tube & cup corals (scroll down):

http://www.reefs.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?...f067a54cce0d5ac

As I remember at least one if not both of these are azooxanthellate, so lighting would not matter but they should probably be fed. Fishfreak's site says they're filter feeders but you might try something like Cyclop-eeze as well. You will be able to tell if they're interested or not.

Nice hitch hikers! (And definitely not Aiptasia.)

--Diane

Archived