inTank Media Baskets

2.5 lighting

aquaman7

2.5 lighting  

36 members have voted

1. 1. 2x 18w PC for a 2.5g... overkill???

• aye, tis
    • nay, tisn't

Alright thanks, I was pretty much going with this, but somthing was nagging at me in the back of my head... as I before stated I'm planning on putting in lps, softies, and maybe a monti cap... so nothing needing serious lighting... just wanted some words of confirmation.

I knew someone would bring up MH (and not be joking J86 haha). I might be kicking myself later when I get into sps (it's inevitable)... but I really want this tank to be predominately lps not requiring that much light. I really did consider MH but I think I'm goin' with PC's... thanks ishtar.

ishtar... is that fixture a diy? If so, did you start a thread for it? Looks good.

i had 2 x 25w corallife screw in 50/50s over my 2.5g

lighting was enough for a monti cap and looked nice, but the heat given off, killed everything after a few weeks.

Untitled-11.jpg[/img]

I had a 20k 70w mh over my 2gal cube and it wasn't overkill, even for zoos and mushrooms. The only problem I had was when the 20k burned out and I swapped in a 10k while waiting for a new bulb to arrive. There is a huge difference in par between the 10k and the 20k and it burned a couple of my corals because I didn't acclimate them. You may think I'm full of it but there is less heat transfer to my tank with the 70w halide than the 13w pc that I started with. You can see what you think in my 2gal video in my signature. Besides the advantage of better air circulation, I found the halide to be cheaper than replacing pc bulbs twice a year. Also, I just upgraded my tank to a 7.5gal cube and the lighting jumped straight over without costly upgrades.

- Chad

Thanks Ishtar/Patio B)

RC handle

ninjafish :P

And I'm really serious... halide is the coolest form of reef lighting. The bulb is way hotter but because of its penetrating power, you don't have to put it right on the surface of the water like you do with fluorescent. As long as you don't try and enclose it in a hood or canopy, the heat will rise and the air above the light will be warm but the air below cool. JME

- Chad

Archived