ReefCleaners.org

how's this sound?

Frank B

Hello, I've been researching nano-reef keeping for the past year and I have decided that I should go ahead and take on the challenge. I'm no expert but I am not at all new to keeping fresh or marine tanks, both of which I have kept on and off for the past 15 or so years. I was just wonderig if anyone here could answer a few of my questions.

First off, my tank of choice will be a 10 gallon all-glss or perfecto (whatever I have laying around), with a JBJ formosa 2x24watt PC strip light (fitted with 1x10,000K and 1x Actinic bulbs), an Aquaclear Mini or 150 w/o media (again, what I have laying around), an Aquaclear 301 powerhead, 20# Arag-Alive sand, 15-20# Live Rock, and hw Marinemix salt (anybody like this stuff?). My first question is how does this sound?

I plan on keeping various Zooanthids (spelling?), Various mushrooms, bullseye mushrooms, hairy mushrooms, yellow polyps, green star polyps, a candy coral, a brain coral (once the tank is well established), a chili coral, Xenia sp., and hammer coral. Does anything look out of place?

How long should I let my tank cycle with the LR and LS before I start adding any critters?

Other critters I am thinking about include a basic cleanup crew; 4-5 bluelegged reef crabs, 4 scarlet reef crabs, 5-6 Astrea snails, 8 Nassa snails, and a cleaner shrimp. What do you think of that?

And of course a little fish or two, I was thinking along the lines of a Royal Gramma or a yellow watchman goby. If proper maintinence were done on the tank could I possibly keep both fish in there? The only reason I ask is because I have seen many of tanks out on this site, some even smaller than this one, containing more than one fish.

Last question, I promise... Due to evaporation and salt creep would it be possible to keep glass hoods on the tank or would this disrupt the gas exchange in the water?

Thanks in advance to anyone who might peruse my inquiries and answer some while he/she is at it,

Frank:D

everything sounds great. you didn't mention a heater but i'm guessing you are planning on including one of those. lighting, filtration, coral choices all sound great. it would definately be okay to put the clown goby and gramma in, especially because the goby puts such little bio-stress on the tank. i do suggest that you add the goby before the gramma though because once established in a tank, grammas can become very territorial. sounds like a great first nano! :)

Frank,

Sounds good...just keep the hammer a good distance away from the others because of its sweepers. As far as cycling goes...either wait for a normal cycle to occur (spikes, etc) or, as in my case, if you're using established rock and seeding with established sand...you may not have a "cycle" at all. I waited 3 weeks and saw no cycle..so I started adding then...everything is fine. Fish choices sound okay..and I agree with Metz on the order. As far as the glass tops go...I'm sure it could be done (with the AC and the powerhead you should get plenty of oxygenation)...but I like the fact that mine is open-topped...kind of a personal preference though I guess. Also..one other thing..you may consider turning the AC filter into a HOB refugium by adding some sand, LR rubble, and macroalgae...I've got an AC150 setup this way and it works well...good macro growth..good nutrient export..and plenty of pods (didn't think I had many until I pulled the plug one day for some maintenance..the second the current stopped I had a HUGE (for that volume of water at least) bloom of pods pop out of the rubble and sand...great stuff). Anyway..hth..

Place the glass lid on stand-offs or slip it into a slot in the lower part of the hood with an inch or two of ventilation above the water surface. This affords you both air exchange and protection against salt creep.

Would keeping a glass top on the tank affect the quality of the light being put off by the PC's? And what about the gass exchange within the tank?

Thank,

Frank

Archived