Innovative Marine Aquariums

copper in QT... what next...?

Adam

hey everybody...

maybe it will sound stupid BUT I have to ask... so I set up 5 gallon QT with power filter (no filter media in it - just to make some circulation of water)... the water in QT took from my display tank...

added CoperSafe medicine as they say on the box... so now the level of copper is 0.25 ppm - clown is seems doing a little bit better - still alive and still have some white dots all around the body...

now I'm going keep it in the QT by next month or at least as long as it will be alive, BUT what after that... when U pull the fish out from QT how to avoid that I will not get any amount of copper in my display tank? what about the water on the net which I'm going to use to move the fish back? I just do not want f*** up with my display tank... and right now I know there is 0 ppm copper in my display tank.. how to do it safe?

thank You

dont use anything that you use to QT in your main tank. no nets, no scrapers, no nothing.

it sucks, but yeah, thats why i dont use copper. too much work. i'd rather QT and do water changes. LOL.

Unfortunately, sometimes when the fish has ich, using copper is inevitable. Even heard some LFS have trace amounts in their fish tanks just to keep the parasites down. Anyways, just as six said, anything used in the QT tank, never enters your show tank. What I did to switch my clown back to the tank from the QT tank, was to have a small buffer container between the QT and show tank. Unfortunately this means netting the fish twice. Basically take a small container and add tank water to it. Try to keep the QT conditions similar to your show tank. Then net the fish from the QT and then place it into the small container. I then let him chill for about 10-15 minutes and then netted him with a different net and put him back into the show. You probaby will only ahve to leave him in the QT tank for 2-3 weeks, just long enough to ensure whatever ich that is in your show tank, is actually dead (from being without a host). Read up more on this to be sure.

Remember the old saying...the solution to pollution is dilution. The larger volume of water you have, the more this water will dilute out any residual copper that is introduced into your fish tank. Thats why the buffer may be a good idea. Good luck with him!

-Miller

thanx guys... for now I had to buy all new stuff like new bucket for water... net... siphone... just for my QT .. to be sure all that stuff did not have any connection with my display tank.. Today is about 48 hrs since I moved my clown to QT and treated it with copper.. clown is much more live.. is eating and swimming like crazy.. but still have a lot of white dots. Checking copper level twice / day and it is stay around 0.25ppm... I'm going do a partial water change in the QT also.. it is going to be around .5 -1.0 gallon since it is such a small tank.. have to pull some food out of there which he didn;t eat. Hehehe kinda scary thing whit the copper cause now I have to think twice to not use the same things at those two tanks.. thanx a lot to all of U.

Glad to hear the fish has picked up a bit. Yes, make sure you keep the QT tank nice and clean. Without good bacteria to break down the waste and uneaten food, it will quickly spoil and pollute your QT tank.

Keep us posted on your progress.

Good luck!

Oh and remember to leave your tank fishless for a while to make sure all the ich is gone...

update.

after 96 hours treating my small clown in QT with CopperSafe - copper level around 0.25 ppm - the clown is life like never before.. it is hungry... it is not cover anymore with so many white dots like it was 96 hr before.. I counted 2 white dots on the body...

My QT is only 5.5 G big..... when I set it up.. I pull the water from my main display tank.. bought power filter with BIO wheel... put heater.. temp. 80F. I took out all filter media and add copper as instruction says.

I also put to the tank small piece of fake corals and piece of PVC pipe so the fish can hide.

From some reason my clown doesn't like at all myshis shrimp which I'm trying feed it.. I soak it in garlic extract from Sachem. Oh well it eats other food well.

My main display tank will run empty by next 3 weeks at least.. I also have there 24W UV sterilizer.. so hope it will help a little..

temp. in my main tank is around 79-80F.

Ammonia - 0

Nitrite - 0

Nitrate -around 15 - can't go lower with them.. not sure why.. doing weekly water changies with catalina ocean water and RO.. still trying

have Purigen.. and Cheato in my back chamber + 6500 light on that..

thank U

btw. sorry for my english.. my 2nd language :)

5 days after setting up my QT (water was taken from my main display tank and arleady done small water change.. .tank has 5.5 gallon.. changed 1 gallon)... my clown is healthy and without ick.. not even one dot on the body.. clean and life...

used copersafe... 0.25 ppm in 5.5 gallon tank...

now have to wait another 2.5 week at least to let the main display tank run with UV light and kill any left ICK in main display tank..

thank U

ok it is week since I set up QT with water from my main display tank.. my fish is healthy and hungry :) all the time... but there is a new problem!!!

NITRITE went up to about 4-5ppm... is that mean the Qt is cycling ? Ammonia is 0 ppm.. Nitrite ~ 4-5 ppm... nitrate ~ 10 ppm.... copper around ~0.15 ppm.

The QT has only water.. short PVC pipe.. fake corral... and power filter with BIO wheel (filter was brand new when I set the QT- so I guess the bacteria will start build)..

now when the ICK is gone how to safe the small clown from harmful NITRITE ? doing weekly water changes.. around 1 gallon on 5.5 gallon tank.. ?

any advice..?

I'm using catalina salt water and RO.

ok it is week since I set up QT with water from my main display tank.. my fish is healthy and hungry :) all the time... but there is a new problem!!!

NITRITE went up to about 4-5ppm... is that mean the Qt is cycling ? Ammonia is 0 ppm.. Nitrite ~ 4-5 ppm... nitrate ~ 10 ppm.... copper around ~0.15 ppm.

The QT has only water.. short PVC pipe.. fake corral... and power filter with BIO wheel (filter was brand new when I set the QT- so I guess the bacteria will start build)..

now when the ICK is gone how to safe the small clown from harmful NITRITE ? doing weekly water changes.. around 1 gallon on 5.5 gallon tank.. ?

any advice..?

I'm using catalina salt water and RO.

Adam,

Glad to hear your fish is doing better. Are you still treating with copper safe? If so, then you can probably stop now. Do some water changes to get rid of any residual copper slowly. It is possible that the tank is cycling but unlikely. Perhaps the copper in the setup is affecting the results of the test. Do a good water change and just keep an eye on things. You should be doing a small water change every few days or so since you do not have any real filtration on the setup. You could also buy a small filter and run carbon to get rid of copper that way too. Good luck!

One Eyed Bunny

Have you thought of using methylene blue as a dip as well? This is a safer way of treating ich than copper. Copper stresses the fish worse than the parasites and it could ruin a reef tank if it were to be cross-contaminated.

Adam,

Glad to hear your fish is doing better. Are you still treating with copper safe? If so, then you can probably stop now. Do some water changes to get rid of any residual copper slowly. It is possible that the tank is cycling but unlikely. Perhaps the copper in the setup is affecting the results of the test. Do a good water change and just keep an eye on things. You should be doing a small water change every few days or so since you do not have any real filtration on the setup. You could also buy a small filter and run carbon to get rid of copper that way too. Good luck!

hey there.. I'm still treating with copper safe cause my friend's clown got ick too and he asked me if he could try it in my QT.. so far so good.. I do small water changes... about 1 gallon on 5.5 gallon tank every week (copper level around 0.20 ppm)... use catalina water and RO... and I do have filter ont the QT tank: http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/Prod...20&N=2004+22769

just pull out all filter medias.. cause the medicine.

well it is now 2 weeks since I took the fish out from display tank. Can not wait till I will put it back to my display tank :) even without fish there is a lot of to watch but would like to finally see the healthy fish in my display tank :)

I'm going keep the QT and run it all the time.. just to make sure if I need it I have it ready.. also going to put carbon to the filter in about week.

thanx a lot for advice..

Adam

neanderthalman
Have you thought of using methylene blue as a dip as well? This is a safer way of treating ich than copper. Copper stresses the fish worse than the parasites and it could ruin a reef tank if it were to be cross-contaminated.

I'm pretty sure that methylene blue contains copper, as with most fish medications. Malachite green also contains copper, but a different ion. Copper II compounds tend to produce blue solutions, and copper III compounds tend to produce green solutions, hence the blue or green color of nearly all fish medications. I could have the ions and colors reversed.....

I recomend a Cleaner Shrimp for people that have repeat issues with ick. But in your display not a QT with copper lol

sorry reffer9391 but after I got TWO cleaner shrimps ... nothing changed.. all fishes died... cleaner shrimp doesn't do anything good - at least in my case. QT with CopperSafe done a lot better job (3-4 days since coppersafe was add to QT, ick disappeared).. both fishes are healthy and hungry all the time :) now they just waiting another 2 weeks before they will get back to display tank...

Archived