Pod Your Reef

Refugiums

jc51373

Hello, just wondering if anyone other there has any experience with refugiums. I am slowly building my 20g High reef and bought a hang on refugium from CPR. I was completely sold on the idea of what it could do. Just wondering if anyone has one out there any what types of benefits you've experienced from having one.

Also I was hoping not to have to go through the trouble of using RO water for my Reef all the time. I have tested the phospates on my tap and it tests absolutely zero. If anyone has anything to say in regards to this please let me know your thoughts! THX!

???

tap water might also include other dangerous chems, such as copper so I would avoid the water. Distilled water is what I use for top offs (no water changes in a while but use it for that as well).

I also have a hang on aquafuge and it is loaded with caulerpa and other macros, to the point that I can't see thru the fuge, or to the bottom. Sadly, I also have a halimeda problem in my main tank thanks to some that came with a coral frag. I didn't think it would grow as fast as it did.

Not sure how beneficial the fuge has been since I have suffered a hair algae outbreak and a cyano outbreak with the fuge operating at full algae capacity but I still like to peek down and see all the shrimp and whatnot swimming around. I'm sure the quantity of live critters in the fuge has helped feed my corals and fish and other critters so the fuge is doing some good.

Thanks guys..I was just curious because most of the tanks I see on this site do not have refugiums. Just wanted to make sure it will be worth all the fuss. I am hoping it will help minimise any algae problems I may have to contend with.

Archived