Cultivated Reef

Little Plate Coral?

c est ma

Well, it's been a while, but as I remember, I'd removed the lens cup (w/ water, of course!) from the tank, placed it near the tank on some white paper, and just moved the tank hood (which is on a PVC stand that can be moved back and forth) until I got the best light I could...then I shot top down in manual mode w/ no flash...

It is interesting how even the Cyclopeeze are pretty sharp...

--Diane

PS: Looking at that, I'm realizing the coral itself was not as large as a soft contact!

You guys are lucky you got the colored ones!

In March I traded someone for a lobophyllia, on the side of it I thought I had a rock anenome growing off of it, it was about the size of a pencil eraser. I was ready to nuke it til I ran cross a thread similar to this one and found out it was a plate.

It now is slightly larger than a silver dollar, skeleton is approx size of quarter, and has yet to drop. It started out only the one polyp, but now has atleast 7 more growing at its base.

Unfortunately, mine is a deep purple/brown with a bright purple mouth. Regardless of its drab color it is a lot of fun to watch them grow from nothing. Can't wait to have my first one drop off, it has to happen soon it's getting fairly large.

IMO, these corals are fascinating, colorful or not. It's too bad so much emphasis is placed on color in reefing...makes us shy away from some otherwise interesting critters...

Do you have any pics of yours posted anywhere? I'd love to see them!

--Diane

Archived