ReefCleaners.org

New to Nanos

ct2001

Hello everyone, I am planning on starting a 10 gallon nano up soon, and I am wondering what type of lighting I should go with, sand bed depth, etc... I have a lot of freshwater experience and a fair amount of saltwater experience, no reefs yet though. I would like to keep it rather simple, maybe a carpet or bulb anemone with a clownfish along with the usual assortment of cleaners and whatnot. Any advice would be great.

I personally would not go with an anemone in such a small tank with no reef experience. Start off with something a little easier. A clownfish would be fine but I would go with mushrooms as your first coral, or zoos. For lighting I would recommend getting something that you will not want to keep upgrading every six months. I think two 36W pc would be sufficient and would allow you to keep a wide variety of corals. For a sand bed, I would make it "roll" ranging from 2-4" deep. Live rock, you will need about 20lbs to have a nice display and give plenty of filtration. Also, depending on the corals, you might want to get a power head or two. I would atleast always have one in a 10g nano. I had two in mine, when it was set-up.

Any other questions, just ask!

Thanks for the info, I'll hold off on the anemone till I get more experience, probably even a bigger tank. Where is a good place online to buy a lighting kit, I would prefer a whole thing, not a retrofit. In the article on this site about lighting they mention the CustomSeaLife Sealight, with the 27W and 9W PCs, do you think this would be enough? Also what is a good type of LR to buy, Fiji, Tonga, etc...?

Ct,

Just my opinion...but I'd just get a 175 or 250 watt MH pendant and drop it over the tank. I've got a 400 over my 10 gal (well above the water..lol..and only because I got it cheap from a local reefer) and I love it..and there isn't anything I can't keep without confidence as far as lighting requirements go. And then you certainly never have to worry about ugrading your lighting..lol. As far as type of LR goes..I like Tonga the best...(only because the Tonga I got had a lot more life on it, not to mention a nice hitchiking GSP mat) but I've got a mix of Fiji, Tonga, and Marshall Island in my tank. I like the varied "general shapes" that each usually come in...makes a nice mix IMO.

HTH...

I had a 250W 14K over my 10, but was wasting a lot of light with the pendant. Although, my corals grew at an incredible rate, I could not stand the heat it was putting off. It was in my bedroom and it is winter and I could feel that it was heating up the room, even with a large fan blowing across the water and the ceiling fan on. Halides are great....if you live in Alaska.:P

I now run pc on my 20h, 4-55W. Great amount of light!

Archived