SaltCritters.com

20 gal nano setup<<>> advice wanted

R*Frost*

hi all im new to the board and have found every 1 dead freiendly love soem of the tanks on here, well anyway back to the questions

do u think that this setup would be alright:

36x12x12 uk 20 gal ( i think uk gals are bigger)

1. D+D solutions mega twin T5 lighting (2x aquablue tubes is this ok on thier own) (is this good enough to grow some sps and a few LPS corals)

2. 20-22 lbs of Stm's LR (in eng this is good)

3. A 2-3" DSB (bit smaller than normal but limited tank height)

4. i dont in tend to include a flilter

5. i dont really want a skimmer but i have no problem soing 1-3 gal water changes weekly more time with my tank :)

6. maxijet 1000 powerhead.

Plz give me any advice you have got it would be a real help. If you no any good fish for my tank or some good hardy/med hardy corals plz post

Thx again Simon,

Thank you for "FIRST POST" posting with intelegence. ;)

Your tank is a US 30 gallon.

use:

3 powerheads,

3 inch sand with special grade aragonite mixed on the top layer,

and a skimmer might be a good idea as water changes can get very bothersome 3 x a week(and expensive)

the LR you speek of is decent aparently, so Id say 30 #s will be the ideal area (if not +10 # more added later)

the T-5 are "OK" but see if your budget can afford some 200+watts of VHO's the T-5 are still not tested to be proven usefull (but by all means be a gunnea pig for us ) and PLEASE use a good salt. Tropic Marin should be accessable at a decent price as well as www.Aquacraft.net salts. I believe they sell it retail in some shopts in the UK. invest in an RODI unit, and read a LOT of old threads on this board and utelize the "search function" before asking whatever questions pop into your mind.... chances are the answer is just a few clicks away... if you STILL have questions.. by all means ask..... it's just better to read and achieve than to ask and recieve.... (A beating) LOL

Cheers !

frost i used to have pretty much exactly the same tank as yours but i changed my tank to 18" deep.

i have added a crappy seaclone skimmer but it helps alot and i only do water changes once a fortnight. t5 lights are actually good and my corals have grown loads but only softies , i have them and also a NO 25w blue tube and am experimenting with sps corals soon. so your tank sounds good but im not sure about having 78w over a 20uk g tank for sps.

the only reason that i am going for T5's is mainly necuse my tank isnt deep enough for Mh's and i cant find ANYWAY in my area or english shops that sell VHO's or PC's

if i got a skimmer would a prizm skimmer HOB be any good

Archived