Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Wounded Royal Gramma

Masoch

Hi folks,

Here's my situation: this morning I noticed that my royal gramma has a chunk missing from one of his side fins. He's still active, eats like he's starving, and doesn't have trouble darting into one of his caves. The likely culprit is one of my 2 perculas, probably the larger, more aggressive, PMSing one. What has me is that the clowns so far haven't shown much interest in the RG except to avoid him when he gets territorial. He likes taking the occasional charge at his tankmates with mouth wide-open, but it seems to be all show ... and only when they stray close to his preferred cave. I've never seen them charge at him.

I don't a refugium or hospital tank, just my 2 month old 20 gallon with 25 pounds of LR, a couple of power heads, skimmer, some shrimp, hermit crabs, and snails. My levels are all fine and my recent cyano bloom from recently adding more LR is gone as of this AM.

Is there anything I should do for him? Will the fin regrow?

Thanks!

Thanks for the reply!

It looks torn / chomped. To be fair, he's a bit of a prick. He's snacked on one of my cleaner shrimp's antennae (regrew at the next molt), and, of course, charges my clowns. He also hid away in his cave most of the day until we got the clowns a couple weeks ago. Now he's out and about most of the time.

Strange fish ... and thanks for reassuring me. He's my first SW fish and I'd hate to lose him. He's got personality ;)

Well, a week later (give or take), the Little Bastard's fin has regrown almost 1 cm -- and he's become a wee bit less agressive. I just wish the lesson hadn't cost him a fin ;)

Archived