Top Shelf Aquatics

Canister, Filtration, & Cyano ?'s

cirionrc

Just had a couple of questions about my tank. I have about 50 lbs. of live rock in my 72g and using a 15g refugium. How much live rock will I need to rid of canister filter? I clean the canister filter about once every two months and was told having too much live rock and a canister will cause massive nitrate levels. Would a wet/dry with a small amount of bio balls work better? If canisters work too good and cause too many nitrates, why use them besides to start you tank off?

2. I have been cleaning my tank of cyano for a while now and it does not seem to go away. I just clean the hell out of it again and it came back over night even worse. Instead of just coving my substrate in spots, it grew all over. I put a poly filter in my canister, and turned half of my pc's off to slow it but is seems to grow back faster. I heard of chemi-clean but was discouraged by lfs guy saying it is a chemical and can wipe out your tank. Is there any other way of getting rid of cyano without chemicals? And has anyone used it here and did you have any bad after effects?

I'm not sure why someone would tell you that too much live rock and a canister filter would cause a nitrate problem, but I can't see why that would be true. For a pretty good simple explanation why not, see Glazer's post here:

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/showthread...=&threadid=7894

I'm not sure there is a foolproof cure-all for Cyano. I think you're probably on the right track with a phosphate filter in your canister. I assume you have macro in your fuge? One thing you mentioned that I wasn't sure about, when you "clean" your tank of cyano are you scraping it off of the surface it is growing on, or are you removing it? If you just scrape, it will release phosphate and toxins in the water that can compound the problem.

Thanks for the post. Anyway, considering printerdown's post, keeping my canister running will not cause massive nitrates. I was just told that I need to clean it out WEEKLY to keep the nitrates stable. Well, as for the cyano, progress is good. Ok, now the cyano is stabalizing. I believe the lighting shortage and the poly filter are having their effects. But just say that the cyano is under control and extinguished, what happens then, if I turn the other lights on again, is the cyano going to just re-appear again? And yes, I remove the cyano by scubbing out the glass of cyano as much as I can, vacuuming the gravel, pressure washing the LR and water change. I just hope the problem is under control in a couple of weeks.

Pressure washing the LR? I'm not sure what that but it doesn't sound good :*(. What exactly is that?

What I find to be a good way to get it off of the glass is I fill a plastic cup with tank water. Than I scrape a "line" of glass with a toothbrush bottom to top. All (most) of the cyano kind of gets caught on the bristles and I can rinse the brush in the water.

I use a baster for my tank. I take out detritus from the live rock and inside it too, and takes off the cyano with no problems. I immediately do a water change after this to catch all the floating particles.

You need to make yourself a handy dandy tool out of some airline tubing, a cooking chopstick and some zip ties. That way you can syphon that junk out instead of just adding it to the water column.

Archived