SaltCritters.com

First shots with new DSLR

funkmuffin

So I started taking some shots this past weekend, and have this to show for it, after a little post-editing (brightness, sharpening, etc.)

I'm having trouble getting the camera to take good shots. Any shot in auto mode, and the sand in the tank ends up looking like a ridiculously bright, glowing blur.

The sand isn't so bad in this one, but this was done in manual mode, though by this time, I had tried about 8000 different settings.

Any tips? MY camera is a Nikon D50.

One more thing -- what are some recommended image sizes for posting here? I've seen BIG and not-so-big, and I'm not sure what would work best... Any tips for sizing-down 6MP pics for posting here?

Thanks!

000643b.jpg

Do you have a macro?

Put the lens right up to the glass and mess with the white balance, can't remember if up or down...just mess with it. Thats a great camera so you should be able to get some nice shots with some practice.

forrestp38829
Do you have a macro?

Put the lens right up to the glass and mess with the white balance, can't remember if up or down...just mess with it. Thats a great camera so you should be able to get some nice shots with some practice.

i really hope that its a great camera, i ordered one about a week ago, have to wait until tuesday to get it. :angry:

few tips...

-use the custom whitebalance feature to get the best colors under our "strange" aquarium lighting. it freaks the camera out.

-use a tripod. always

-take all your pictures with the lens parallel to your glass. this will avoid capturing any distortion that occurrs when taking a picture through glass at an angle

-take lots of pics! on any givven photography session with my tank i may take up to 50 pictures of the same thing, but only end up keeping 2 or 3. that's the beauty of digital.

• 2 weeks later...

so i was just wondering how you like the D50 so far? i was looking into picking one up within the next week or so. i was even contemplating selling my tank in order to have the money...but that urge passed...haha....

i loved my d50 when i had it.... i think it was Ritz camera.. but anyway they have this deal where in 10days you can return the camera, the case, the lens' all that stuff (even if the boxes are open)...i tested it out for 10 days and on the last day returned it b.c. i was affraid i wouldnt use it enough... :/ ..now i really want it.. lol oh well

Archived