Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Live Sand

kevin brocato

kevin brocato

I was in my LFS (Petco) this weekend and saw where they had live aragonite sand in a bag for sale. It said it was full of benefical bacteria and it even had sea water in the plastic bag. It was made by Nature's Own. Is this any good? Has anybody else seen or used this?

Agreed... there is really no "critters" in there anyway... they passed on long ago. Bacteria mostly left and even the amount of it I would wonder about. "Dead" sand and you live rock will bring your sand pretty much up to the equivilant of what's in that bag before your tank has even finished cycling... (IMO)

I'm using it for my new setup. It isn't that bad, they had a special...something like 20 lbs for $32. I have been slowly adding livestock from my 5g and I haven't seen a cycle yet (though I'm sure this isn't unassailable evidence of good live sand). I also like the mix of sizes, .5mm-2mm. I used a combination of that and Nature's Ocean sugar sized sand.

BTW: how can I get rid of the sand storm? Its been over a week and things aren't completely clear? I was thinking of stuffing a mechanical filter bag in my prizm.

$32 for 20lbs aint that great considering you can get real fiji live sand for $1.50 a lb. Waste of money IMO.

I love how some of the brands of those bagged sand say you can add fish on the very first day.

My problem is I don't have a good LFS. Mine doesn't have any invert section, and the fish section is very poorly maintained. My other option is PetCo. If I want to mail-order, I'll pay a lot in shipping.

Archived