Innovative Marine Aquariums

Anybody approve/dis-approve of this setup?

BuyALambo

I'm setting up a small aquarium for my office at work, and I'd like to see if you guys approve/dis-approve. I know the collective knowledge of these forums are better than any Local Fish Store near me. I had most of this hardware laying around home, but i'm not sure if it will work together. Here goes:

10 gallon All-Glass Aquarium

Aquarium Systems Millenium 2000 hang on Wet-dry filter

20" Coralife PC Hood w/1x28W 50/50 bulb

CaribSea Sea Flor base (I have an 18lb bag leftover)

Livestock i'd like to keep (in theory):

Build-up of live rock

1-Micro Hippo Tang

1-Micro Yellow Tang

1-Small Percula Clown

1-Cleaner Shrimp

1-small Turbo Snail

1-red or blue legged crab

I know it's quite a bio load for such a small tank, but i'd like to find out if it's REALISTIC

Thanks in advance....

Christopher Marks

First off and most importantly, you cannot keep any tangs in nano reefs. Even if they were young and small, it's not a good idea. They are especially less hardy at such age/size.

Except for the 'micro' tangs, your plan is good. You won't need the wetdry filter since you'll be using liverock. That is all the biological filtration you will need. Just make sure that you have atleast 10 pounds of good liverock.

Um, dissaprove.... know why? Mind you I'm not a foot-stompin' screaming member of the Tang PoHLice but I do believe they belong in bigger tanks... 29 gallon about the cut-off point in my view and believe me I took some flack over that!...lol

I'd go with a pair of clowns...maybe a small goby and call it quits on the fish. I'd also go with a few more snails...not Turbo's mind you and/or a few more hermits. Your light is borderline... you could definitely put a bunch of shrooms in there and some polyps, perhaps less light needy softies.... but it all depends on what you want to end up with. Looks to me like you are more about the fish aspect as opposed to a reef?

I can't comment on your filter as I have never used one, seen 'em though.... enough rock and sand and you really shouldn't need the wet/dry type HOB... maybe a medium sized AquaClear for water movement and running carbon once in awhile.

If you get it set up and running I'll definitely stop out to take a look at it.... oh okay, I'll look at the Lambo's too...lol

EDIT: LMAO... I saw your post, thinking of the Tang cops, and by the time I finished typing and posted they had already swooped!

I'm not sure how much the corallife hood is but aren't they expensive? Maybe try to get a hood from PSL or JBJ with more wattage. Also, you're probably better off investing the money you plan to spend on the wet/dry filter and buy a skimmer or a hob fuge (Aquafuge is cheap).

chvynva916: The Colralife hood was only 40 bux, not bad at all.

glazer: I was thinking similar. i'd like to stick with fish only just because I have 0 experience with anything else. I just need something near my desk to cure my insanity.

thanks all

Archived