Cultivated Reef

HELP US FAST! please.......

newtoit

We have had a black clown for 9 months. He was in a 6G nano tank. We moved him to a 10G tank about 2wks ago. We used new sand, his live rock, and 1/2 his water when we moved him. For the first week or so he swam laps on the top of the tank. We then added, probably not a good move, a orange clown. They got along right away. However, they immediately started hiding behind the live rock. Now, the past 24 hours, our orange clown is acting ill. He was laying on the bottom. We did a freshwater dip. He seemed to perk up a bit, but then started getting slow again. Now, he is flipping all over, like he is seizuring.

Our black clown seems okay, maybe more quiet is all...... he still hides a lot.

The water tests were fine

Ammonia is 0

nitrate a bit over 0

nitrite 0

ph is 8.2

specific gravity is 1.023

We dont use RO water

We want to save him, but obviously are more worried about our beloved black clown,that we have had over 9 months.

THANKS FOR ANY HELP YOU CAN OFFER

When you moved him you should have not moved him (black clown) at the same time (or just after) you set up the new tank. You said you don't use RO. Hopefully you're not using tap water.

There might have been something wrong w/ the new clown when you bought him. How long did you aclimate the new clown?

The black clown is hiding because of stress (new tank, new fish, etc.)

I know we did some thing wrong. :huh:

We acclimated him for just over 2 hours.

So, what do we do??? water change??

Try a water change. Can't hurt, might help w/ the nitrates.

In the 2 hours you had him floating in the bag to even the temps I'm going to assume you were adding tank water to the bag and then removing some from the bag and throwing it away? BTW, 2 hours is a very long time to aclimate a fish. I do it for 30 min. tops. Longer for inverts and corals.

I know we did some thing wrong. :huh:

We acclimated him for just over 2 hours.

So, what do we do??? water change??

Any more information about the second clown?

Take a step back and re-evaluate. Dont be so sure you did something wrong. The two hour acclimation is more than enough however it how you acclimated that is the question. Also, did you do anything to the tank over the last few days. Did you do a water change, add supplements, stir up the sand, etc...

I agree that even if you switch out the live rock and sand, two weeks may be a bit too soon. What kind of sand did you use? Is it play sand? Is it sand from the LFS? Is it aragonite sand? Did you use anything to wash the sand? Did you use anything to wash the aquarium?

How are you measuring salinity? Hydrometer, refractometer, etc...

Do you notice any marks on the second fish?

Archived