Coral Vue Hydros

Clownfish - White Film?

elklown

One of my clowns is covered with a whitish/grayish film - head to toe, it doesn't appear to be spots (Ich, Velvet), but I can't figure out what it is. If I were to discribe it further, I would say it looks similar to a snake about to shed. He's otherwise happy and eating well, no breathing problems, rubbing, etc. I was thinking of QTing him or giving him a FW bath. Suggestions - medications?

its the fish's slime coat.

when a fish is stressed, usually from something in the water against it's skin, it secretes more slime than normal to slough it away.

it's usually a water quality issue.

test for ammonia and see what shakes out. ammonia can burn a fish's gills and skin, thats usually why a fish secretes more slime. otherwise it could be from an overdose of a chemical (iodine, buffer, anything really) or an infection of some sort, although that does not sound like the case this time.

test the water and lets see if all you need to medicate the tank with is some fresh salt water via a water change.

Thanks for the advice. I ran the gambit on water tests and came up with nothing out of wack, also I don't dose. I immediately did a 20% water change on the main tank just in case and moved the ill fish to a QT, filled with water from the main, I'm doing small water changes in the QT tank to keep his stress levels down. I hit the tank with Maracyn Plus just in case there was a bacteria at work, but I agree in thinking stress is the problem. Almost immediately upon being introduced to the QT his condition seemed to worse; currently he's no longer swimming around (remaining stationary) and has ceased eating. I'm going to slowly lower the salinity into his favor and I'm hoping to have effectively completed a 100% water change in the next few days.

The white films appears to be coming off, but it also appears that some blood vessels must have burst as he has small red marks near his face. Any ideas?

Formerly MikeR.

is he a new addition? a wild clown? sounds like it could be brookynella

requires formalin dip, or a freshwater dip ( not as effective)

but would do it asap!!!!!

He's been with me a few weeks and the condition has run too long to be brookynella. As of today his condition appears to be up in the air, he's had his good days and his bad. At this point I give him a day or two, if he doesn't improve he's a goner.

its the fish's slime coat.

when a fish is stressed, usually from something in the water against it's skin, it secretes more slime than normal to slough it away.

it's usually a water quality issue.

test for ammonia and see what shakes out. ammonia can burn a fish's gills and skin, thats usually why a fish secretes more slime. otherwise it could be from an overdose of a chemical (iodine, buffer, anything really) or an infection of some sort, although that does not sound like the case this time.

test the water and lets see if all you need to medicate the tank with is some fresh salt water via a water change.

^geneious in the house....i learned somthing new today!

Archived