SaltCritters.com

Caulerpa ID Perhaps a NEW strain?

Dave ESPI

Looking and exhausting my resources at hand, I am stumped.

EDIT:

Caulerpa floridana is what ID is to be proven. :)

So It grew out of nothing. Tonga branch, Fiji Ultra, and a Little Caribbean Aquacultured rock 15 + species of caulerpa in a few systems, and can find NOTHING as to this species ID.

it appears to be Taxifolia shaped and has round runners and sprue. There is common holdfast and axia grows like many caulerpa do. I had a batch go sexual recently, and hope to keep this alive to propigate. I have 3 existing colonies and seek to expand it.

Info needed.

EDIT: Thank you for replies.

Originally posted by cmoreash and same goes for me

i can't post anything but absolute sh*t

but i must say...

see! look folks! dave researched and hunted for info for SO LONG that he now has a FOREST of the stuff before he posted for ID help.

yeah "LOOKS LIKE" is a popular response LMAO... HAHAHAH damn it... ! :D

it is NOT taxifolia. My tangs chow this stuff. I said it "looks like" tax and mexicana but has round bublous fronds that bulge out at te tips.

a VERY bizare species indeed.

Caulerpa geminata or perhaps seuratti..... (f*k Latin, ouch I hurt myself!)

My answers Dave are based on written descriptions of both those plants as opposed to photographic comparisons... I could not find, in the several minutes of searching a photo that showed either worth a sh!t...... but what I did find coupled with the written description would make me think geminata.

Gotta also say GOOD JOB on the pic!.... far superior to most you have taken... oh I mean resolution/clarity and all. New camera?

You mean you'll really overnite it to me!? Wow, you really are one in a million :D Could you just disassemble the hood and undo the varnish and paint before you send it so it will be lighter? I'll use my own screws or nails or scotch tape to put it back together... I'll paypal you an extra $100 for shipping; you'll send back the difference, right?

-Will

yeah thats the closest yet. may actualy be it..... BUT where is it from? I see the mention of Florida in the latin surname, but It is NOT listen in 3 of my caribbean plant or ID books.

hmmmmmmmmm....

thanx Duley

U get a gold star.

and Glazer, no, I just am getting good a adjusting the pix now that I have Photoshop up and running again :D

duleypm that sure looks like the caulerpa in question, and even the slight difference is marginal, caulerpa takes on various slight alterations in form under different lighting/water schemes.

Ok... here's a pic of the Caulerpa geminata that Glazer mentioned... this is native to waters south of australia....

The other one that Glazer mentioned... seems to be spelled wrong... sorry Glazer....

Hmm... the C. sedoides is highly unlikely as it is only from coastal Africa... and I don't think Dave has a lot of stuff from Africa... yet I could be wrong.

The C. okamurae (there seem to be three spellings for this... I'm confused.... okamurai, okamura, and okamurae) is from Japan, so possibly a bit closer to collection sites... Heres a few photos.... I think so far this one looks the closest... but what do I know...

Check this out... it has a nice little 2 picture flippy thing... (run your mouse over the pic...)

research.kahaku.go.jp/botany/seaweeds/GreenAlgae/GreenAlgae_PhotoPage/fusaiwazuta.html

I have a few strands of that stuff I'm trying to get established. I got it from some Indo Pac live rock. According to my little book "Marine Plants of the Carribean" it looks like a dead ringer for Caulerpa sertularioides. The match is almost exact if you ahve that book at work or can take a look at it it's on page 38. It mentions people in the Phillipines using this in salads so it must be found in pacific as well as Carribean.

Archived