Coral Vue Hydros

How Long To Wait After Ick

rye

Had a clownfish die of ick (at least I suspect). He was nice and healthy, then I added a blue damsel. The damsel never really ate, developed white spots a day later and died 2 days after that. 2 weeks later, my clownfish that I had for about 2 months got a spot, stopped eating and died rather quickly. It's been about 3 1/2 weeks now and I'm wondering if I can try again with a clownfish. Right now the tank is fishless - just corals and inverts. Thanks.

wow..did you do water changes, if so how much, i think it could have been poor WQ (im not sure)? you added fish too quickly ofter one died, and you let one little problem kill your fish, start feeding mysis shrimp soaked in garlic elixr to build up and his immune system

sounds like your fish were really stressed,

here are my questions:

What is the size of your tank?

How many fish did you have in there before your first fish died?

What did you feed your fish?

How often did you feed your fish?

Did you dose Iodine, Calcium, etc.?

What were your water perams wen the fish got sick & when they died?

Whats your Calcium and Alkalinity levels?

What is the salinity of your water?

How often did you do a water change?

How much of your water did you change?

Wow - good questions! First to clarify - the clown had been in the tanks for 6 weeks, I added the damsel, damsel died 4 day later and about 7-10 days later the clownfish died. Here are the specs - had my LFS double check my water after happened:

29g tank

30lb liverock

40lb livesand

3 gal water change every Wed night

only ever had the 2 fish in it

tank's been up since Oct

I don't dose Iodine or Calcium

feed the fish once a day at night and skip every 3rd day

feed them the Marinelife Bio pellets

SG=1.025

Ammonia=0

Nitrite=0

Nitrate=0

pH=8.2

did u quarentine your fish? I work at a LFS and most of our fish come in with ick and we just dose the tanks. which means you should have quarentined the fish to make sure the ick was completely gone. this is also why its a bad idea to add LFS water in your tank (we does it with copperbased meds)

Nope - stupid me - didn't quarentine, but next time I will. Since my tank is fishless, should I still quarentine the next fish? I have a 1 gal hex tank with a little biowheel on it (although I only use a skimmer and liverock for filtration on my 29g tank). Could I use that and what else would I need on it?

Nope - stupid me - didn't quarentine, but next time I will. Since my tank is fishless, should I still quarentine the next fish? I have a 1 gal hex tank with a little biowheel on it (although I only use a skimmer and liverock for filtration on my 29g tank). Could I use that and what else would I need on it?

ok did you have any HOBs, or powerheads...but you need more % on your waterchange...about 7.5 gallons!! hmm...welll your water levels look awesome.

More questions:

what circulation did you have?

how deep is your sand bed?

did your fish fight?

what kind of skimmer?

sounds to me like you did your best...it also sounds like you added fish to fast after ones death (since the fish died it gave an ammonia spike whitch created a mini cycle) witch killed your damsel....

overall...you probabally got fish with bad health to begin with

Wow - good questions!

I agree. Nice job, Samoyed.

29g tank

30lb liverock

40lb livesand

3 gal water change every Wed night

only ever had the 2 fish in it

tank's been up since Oct

I don't dose Iodine or Calcium

feed the fish once a day at night and skip every 3rd day

feed them the Marinelife Bio pellets

Your water change regimine and feeding regimine are fantastic. Keep that up!

SG=1.025

Ammonia=0

Nitrite=0

Nitrate=0

pH=8.2

How about KH? even with a high pH a low KH can fluctuate your pH without you knowing. I doubt that is the case this time, but it an important aspect of reef keeping.

Otherwise, I think the advice to QT is a great one. The disease the fish brought in may have been a little much even for a well cared for system. It happens sometimes.

I would try to add a variety of foods to the fish's diet as well. That will keep it's immune system top-notch and enable it to fight disease. A healthy immune system means a fish can fight just about anything and win.

Thanks so much for all of the help guys. One point of clarificaton - I never added anything AFTER a fish died. I had the clown, added the damsel, the damsel died and then the clown died.

dK is something that I haven't started test, but am starting up in my routine this week. I've got a few corals and it's time to start watching it. Let's see - flow. If have a Remora skimmer with a Maxi-jet 1200 and two Maxi-jet 400's for flow. I'm thinking about trading those two 400's in for a couple of 600's...I'm sort of watching the corals for a while and seeing what they need. Seems to be quite a bit of watermovement.

Let's talk feeding...what else would you recommend? I was thinking some sort of frozen shrimp and was also thinking of the garlic route. Any recommendations on garlic suppliment brands and usage?

Back to the original question...trying the fish thing again. Got the inverts, got some coral - would like to try another clownfish. It's been about 3 1/2 weeks. Can I try it and if I do, do I need to quarinteen? Once again - thanks for all of the great feedback. You guys make me feel like I must be doing something right out here.

Back to the original question...trying the fish thing again. Got the inverts, got some coral - would like to try another clownfish. It's been about 3 1/2 weeks. Can I try it and if I do, do I need to quarinteen? Once again - thanks for all of the great feedback. You guys make me feel like I must be doing something right out here.

besically everything is right...you DEFINITYLY have enough flow.. you didnt do anything wrong...i think its another case of the BAD LUCK!!! you would be ok to put in another clown!

IMO put the clown in, but start feeding the fish mysis every other day, and do 7 gallon water changes, and you are good to go

Had a clownfish die of ick (at least I suspect). He was nice and healthy, then I added a blue damsel. The damsel never really ate, developed white spots a day later and died 2 days after that. 2 weeks later, my clownfish that I had for about 2 months got a spot, stopped eating and died rather quickly. It's been about 3 1/2 weeks now and I'm wondering if I can try again with a clownfish. Right now the tank is fishless - just corals and inverts. Thanks.

Check out this link I think it will answer your original question also this link has some decent information on it as well dealing with Crypt

http://www.liveaquaria.com/general/general...eral_pagesid=78

Archived