Pod Your Reef

10 gallon light. 65w enough?

el pez

hey all,

due to budget restraints i have decided to not get a 7 gallon AGA. instead im just gonna use a 10 gallon i have in my closet.

as far as lighting. will a single 65 watt smartlight pc be enough light to keep the "low end" colars? i plan on making the sandbed 3 inches to raise up the LR to the lights more.

thanks

OR would there be an advantage to running the CSL 2x32watt hood instead? nearly the same amount of light but would be entirely over the tank(as opposed to 2 inchs hanging off on both sides

printerdown01

With 64 or 65W of PC you can def keep most corals. The only advantage to running the 2x32 CSL would be that you won't have "over hang." Remember to sheild the end caps from evaporation and salt creep.

ya the overhang will be unsightly but thats it. cause its only 4 inches total wasted. so i guess the 2x32 would actually deliver more light to the corals.

hmm. i might go with the 2x32w and build a frame for it to sit on. cause the tank is 20inches and the hood is 15.

I would go with the 2 x 32. That way, you can run separate Actinic light as well as stopping the wasted light from the overhang.

:)

Oh, and yes... that is enough light to make many corals very happy.

Archived