inTank Media Baskets

Why mulitple pumps in 24 gallon NC's

ASpec

I see many of you are running multiple pumps/powerheads in the rear chambers of your Nano cubes. Just wondering why?

I see some of you are moving the stock pump into chamber 1 or 2 and running a MJ1200 in chamber 3 which brings the water back into the tank, but what's the point of running another powerhead in the previous chambers? I don't see how this is helping or increasing flow in your tank.

I have a 2006 24 DX so the stock pump is already pushing 290, so replacment with a MJ1200 would not be worth it for me. I was thinking about replacing the stock pump with an Azoo 1800 which would be over 400 gph.

Most people who add a second pump put the nozzle in different area of the tank, so when the second pump is going the water becomes turbulent. A single pump provides very linear flow in the tank and possibly some dead spots. The second pump breaks up the linear flow and also gets water moving in parts of the tank that may not have experienced flow with only one pump.

Get rid of the stock pump, trust me! I also have a 2006 NC, replaced by JBJ because of stress cracks in the 2005 24 Gallon NC. Anyway, temp. is wayyyyyyyyyyyyyy to high from the stock pump. I upgraded to a Maxijet 1200 as my main pump in the return bay and it is much more powerful, effecient, and now my corals actually grow! Do yourself a favor and order one from Marine Depot or Premium Aquatics online for 18.95 for the 1200. Let's just say my "stock" pump that came with my tank blew out completely 10 mins. before my 2 year old son and 13 year old dauters B-Day party was supposed to start.:((((((((((((((((((( What an experience that was, it sucked big time. Good luck!

I'm not sure either why everyone claims the pumps are so bad. I have a 6 and a 24 cube and the pumps have been working great for four months now and the temp has stayed at a constant 78 degrees. Just my experience, guess I'm lucky.

I'm not sure either why everyone claims the pumps are so bad. I have a 6 and a 24 cube and the pumps have been working great for four months now and the temp has stayed at a constant 78 degrees. Just my experience, guess I'm lucky.

it depends on your ambient temperature, but given the situation if you were to put in a maxi you will notice your heater kicking in more often since the temps will go down a few degrees

it depends on your ambient temperature, but given the situation if you were to put in a maxi you will notice your heater kicking in more often since the temps will go down a few degrees

My stock pump seems to be fine, only been running a few days though. I am still thinking about replacing it with MJ1200 for reliability.

But if I were to add another pump into the 1st or 2nd compartment where do you point the flow? Do you driect it back into the tank using tubing or is the idea of a second pump in back to increase the flow in the filtration area?

I replaced the stock pump with a 1200 because it was loud... it rattled a lot.

And I have 2 pumps because I wanted to add a Hydor-Flo, which is working great.

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...ndpost&p=662397

So I have a 900 on the duckbill and a 1200 on the Hydor-Flo.

That's an awesome mod. How does the hydor-flo work out in that location? I was considering buying one but I understand it rotates 360 degrees... worried water would be shoot up onto the lense cover, which is why I have not ordered one yet.

Is the hole simply drilled 5/8" and then the 90 degree elbow attached to the hydor-flo though the hole drilled in the false wall?

That's an awesome mod. How does the hydor-flo work out in that location? I was considering buying one but I understand it rotates 360 degrees... worried water would be shoot up onto the lense cover, which is why I have not ordered one yet.

Is the hole simply drilled 5/8" and then the 90 degree elbow attached to the hydor-flo though the hole drilled in the false wall?

I have one of these installed in the stock outlet for the pump in my 24DX. I was worried about the same thing, but Drs.F&S has them on sale for $10, so I ordered one. While the inside turns 360 degrees, the housing doesn't turn automatically:

1_17025_FS24410.jpg

So the water flows out in whatever direction you point the lip, it just moves 360 degrees around the circle of the flow, if that makes sense.

Archived