Cultivated Reef

is calurpa bad in a nano tank?

shiverband

most caulerpas are reef tank safe. Although some are toxic to herbiverous fish and inverts. I think Caulerpa mexicana (C. sertularioides) is toxic to some fish.

HTH

some strains of caulerpa can go sexual and over-run the tank with toxins, others will grow like a weed and you might end up with way more than you wanted, although it is easier to control caulerpa than it is to control hair algae.

Christopher Marks

Like Crackeur said, it can become out of control if it's growth speeds up. It's definately beneficial though.

If possible, I would keep it confined to a refugium where you can more easily see where it's growing and prune it back as needed.

I'm growing razor in my 5.5. It went asexual a few months ago and didn't cause any problem other than clouding of the tank which was taken care of by running carbon for about 24 hrs. I also have it in my refuge for the 20. In there it's now covered with hair algae and needs a good pruning.

I like it, it adds a nice bright color to the landscaping.

I had a really small bit of racemosa on a rock, next thing I knew it was all over! I had to trim it down several times now. So far it's stopped, but I have to keep an eye on it now.

true but it too can take over a tank as easily as hair or other pest algaes. I am currently battling a macro takeover in my tank and I don't have the algae crew to take care of it. Need a tang now.

Archived