inTank Media Baskets

Drumroll....

Kalanianaole

wow, that sun coral is really expanded! and is that a cherub (pygmy) angel in there? i'd find that thing a new home soon if it is;)

Here's the specs...flame away.

6 gallon Eclipse.

Original filter still in, media replced with Chemipure Biobag.

Rio 90 PH

Power-glo 8 watt, 18,000K. (it's in the original hood ballast)

13w 50/50 PC (in Bookworm Light casing)

Here's the part where I get yelled at...

No skimmer

No heater

No fuge

Care...

1.5 gal water change. every 6 to 10 days.

Nitrates - 0-5ppm

SG - 1.024

Ca - 420

Feeding once a day, mixes of Mysis, Formula One and Angel Formula. The sun coral recieves Mysis and F-One four days a week. Four days a week the schleronephthya and gorgonia and nephthea are spot fed with DTs.

Twice a week I supplement with .75 oz of Reef Complete, Reef Carbonate and Reef Plus. It recieves 14 hours of light, with the 50/50 retiring and hour after the Power-glo.

Inhabitants...

Atlantic Pygmy Angel - Centropyge argi

Green Clown Goby - Gobiodon atrangulatus

Neon Goby - Gobiosoma oceanops

Fool! Keeping three fish in a 6 gallon?

Yes. the pygmy's been in there since July and has been loving his home ever since. I Have plenty of rock work for him to explore, not to mention I partially rearrange it every few weeks. He's smaller than other pygmys that I've seen and after 6 months togather, he's shown no signs of getting bigger. Very active, attractive fish. The clown goby has been there since August. Nitrates have never been an issue, neither has territory as the goby poses no threat to the pygmy. The neon's been there for maybe two weeks. The clown goby pretty much hangs around mid-level, while the neon likes the bottom. My tank is full off non-violence.

Continued...

Sun coral - Tubastrea

Branching hammer - Euphyllia parancora

Goniopora? - See pic, I believe it's a goni.

Anthelia sp.

Maroon with yellow polyps - Scleronephytha sp.

Orange/orange polyps - Scleronephytha/Dendronephthya?

Nephthea? - see pic

Purple and green striped mushroom - Discosoma sp.

Green-tipped ricordia - Ricordia sp.

Reddish button polyps - Palythoa sp.

Brown/orange zoos - Zooanthid sp.

White star polyps

Green star polyps? - see pic

Clove polyp - Clavularia sp.

Red serpent star

Yellow cucumber - Colochirus robustus

Tiny brittle star - Amphipholis squamata (close sp.)

Cerith snails

2 Bumblebee snail

3 Nassarius snail

Tons of those small, white and maroon snails.

Small mussel

Grape calupera

Wow, you have non-photosyntetic gorgs, carnation coral, gonipora in a 6 gallon? Good luck with them!:

Anyways, beautiful tank. Have you thought about upgrading to a 32 watt Smart light? It would help light things up.

Rock Anemone:D

I'd like some ID on this. The LFS I got it at didn't know it was in the coral tank till I showed them. In fact, none of the LFS I've been to in the KC area are very knowledgable. The main one I go to is cheap and very friendly. I got that brancing hammer for 12 bucks.

Here's what I think is the goni. It's a but fuzzy but you get the idea. It's been in the tank for three weeks now, fully extended. Here's to hoping.

Oh, and the LFS got a goni in and it died. A month later I was poking around the back of that tank for frags and this is what I find. Is there any possibility that it's a remanent of the first goni? They had no idea where the little guy came from. My hope is that it was a frag ffrom the first one, meaning it'll be quite hardy as it grew up in a tank.

Where in MO r u? I like your tank! I was actually thinking of setting up an Eclipse in our family room. Justa a simple FOWLR, with one fish and maybe a shrimp. I was thinking the 6g or 3g

yeah that's a goniopora alright. goo luck with it. the little ones always seem to do better then the larger ones.

Dad...The temp bounces between 70 and 80 degrees. The midnight/noon fluctuations are the only things that bother me about that. I assume the ocean doesn't fluctuate nearly that dramatically during the day/night cycle.

Djm...I'm in the Kansas City area, specifically Independence, where the children run free and other poetic delights.

Metzen...out of curiosity, why do you suggest a bigger tank for the pygmy?

And, more pics.

Wow, that is a big temperature drop in one day, I would purchase a heater if I were you. Most advanced aquarists lower their water temperatures over a number of days.

P.S. Nice Sun Coral.

I should have specified that the 10 degree swing was the most dramatic the tank has been through. Most of the time it'll stay at 78/80 day to 74/76 night, which is more reasonable of a change.

Very nice tank. I see you have used the various coral colours quite effectively.

Good choice of corals - in terms of colour.

Layout is quite nice too. Couldnt have done it better myself. :P

Yeah, I've read about recocmendations from commercial suppliers also. However, 30 gallons is the minimum I've ever seen on commercial sites, which I suppose means none of us can keep fish in the nano portion of the hobby. They say neon gobies need 30 gallons, for crap's sake.

I'd be more inclined to follow some guideline if it can be rationalized to me. For example, is the pygmy angel's natural territory equivalent to roughly 30 gallons? So they need much open water to roam or so they lots of rocks and tunnels? My tank provides both, which he seems to utilize equally (there's a suprising amount of open water for a 6 gal).

Does anyone know anything specific on the matter? I'd like to accomodate my fish with what he needs, not because of a generaized rule. In the meantime, he seems happy...he explores and goes eveywhere, instead of following specific paths or constantly swimming at the glass.

SK8...I hope that didn't sound too terse. I appreciate the reply, but I've been looking for specifics on the matter for sometime now.

In the meantime....

Kal,

No worries. You didn't sound too "terse" at all. I'm actually worrying that I did. I appreciate your thoughts on what the commercial suppliers "suggest" is right for your fish. I just also read somewhere recently cherub angels like to move around quite a bit more in their natural habitat than say a percula.

But, as we all know, fish have personalities and if yours seems happy than I bid you the best of luck. :)

Those little guys are some of the cutest fish I've seen.

Good Luck....

It has more to do with the waist that fish will produce etx. Also, they like a lot of room to roam and free swim, such as swimming a few "feet" etx.

I mean, I'm sure it's fine for now but, I'm not really sure if it's happy etx. They do like a lot of swimming room.

Spencerx...

Excrutiating? Not at all. Going back to Animal Behavior 1, it's all about learned behavior. You have to teach the sun coral that the smell of food in the water means it will be fed. I suppose the training period is the first two weeks it's in the tank. The polyps will take a few days or more to feel comfortable in their new home and fully extend. When they do come out you have to be sure they recieve food to reward that behavior. Some people will feed them at a specific time every day; even if it's high-noon they'll come out in anticipation of food time. My schedule is so erratic that I usually feed them sometime in the evening. They recieve Formula One and Mysis. Now that they've learned what dinner smells like and extend when food's in the water, I feed them between 3 and 5 times a week.

I use a plastic syringe with an opening that Mysis can fit through. I have a small cup I fill partway with tank water and put the food in it so it thaws and permeates through the water. If the polyps haven't come out a few minutes after feeding the fish, I fill the syringe with cup water and spray it over the polyps. A few minutes later when the polyps are fully extended I use the syringe to spot feed the colony. Turn off the powerhead so the food doesn't blow everywhere and use the syringe or whatever to get the food right on the colony. You don't have to specifically feed every polyp every day; just pay attention to polyps that may be out of the way or smaller so that they get their fair share. You can tell if their getting enough to eat: the color is vibrant, they extend readily and look full.

This is all in my 10 weeks of sun coral experience, so take it just as that.

Picture time....

Archived