Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Ordering Fish Online

MJD

I know that if you order fish online it will be a boatload cheaper than at the LFS,

but do your fish come healthy and alive.

Any comments are welcome.

Thanks, MJD

masterbuilder

I have..many times. Most were when I was into Discus. I very seldom had any heath problems with my purchases. The main advantage is, you can find what you want. My experience has only positive with most of the big name players. (ie. liveaquaria, marinedepot, etc.)

The total cost was usually higher due to the $50 or so shipping charges.

Your mileage may vary,

Mark

as masterbuilder said... the shipping kills it.

If you order from a good place like liveaquaria.com the fish most likely will arrive alive, and if not most places have a garuntee.

In my exprience the LFS is cheaper because of the high shipping.

The other problem is that you are supposed to add fish slowly, especially for a nano. If you are planning on adding 3 fish total you should really wait 2 weeks between every fish to make sure you don't crash the tank or get disease in from other fish. Therefore, if you order online, you must pay the high shipping charges multiple times.

Coral is a different story... my lfs charge 2x as much for coral frags than online.... gonna have to place an order soon!

Saltwaterfish.com offers free shipping on all orders over 79$. But there is a 15$

hidden charge for packaging and taxes of some sort.

They do have beautiful fish, many of which i have never seen in my life!

Many diverse species. 16$ for a false percula aquacultured and 25$ for a coral beuty angel are just some of the appetizing deals.

I am thinking about purchasing fish from this site. The only con is that you have to introduce 3-5 fish into your aquarium since you have to pay at least 79$.

Looks good might order hawaiin spotted puffer, 2 false perculas, coral beauty angel, Mandarin Dragonet, and a brittle star for my 30g tank. It all equals to about 100$ with surchages and taxes. I am only scared about fish coming to me dead. I would introduce the fish into my tank slowly, put some in seperate holding tank and others into show aquarium.

Does this sound right? If so i might just have to get my fish from there instead of the LFS.

Comments, Thanks

MJD

hey, i have bought many fish from saltwaterfish.com and they have all arrived alive and just as pictured online. the 75 dollars is worth it to spend because you get free shipping and yes they do add like a 9.99 gas fee or something like that but its still very much worth it.

thsi is what its says when you checkout

Boxes, Packaging, & FedEx Shipping = FREE

Processing Fee = $9.99

Temporary Fuel Charge = $5.99

oh boy! That tank is too small for all those fish. I would read the tank requirements for each of those fish. I would keep the pair of clowns and the brittle on the list and get rid of the rest. You are just asking for trouble with the rest of the fish. TAKE EVERYTHING YOU DO IN THIS HOBBY SLOW!!! You wont regret it trust me. Do you plan to have coral in this tank also? Coral, although small, do have a bioload. Plus depending on how much rock you have, your tank is not holding 30g of water. Good luck with your purcheses and have fun.

yeah, i used to work at an lfs WAAAAY back in the day (so long so that im getting back into the hobby and its all like new to me with all the gadgets and what not) and we would get the fish from a few distro's in fl for rediculously low prices. i bought and kept a leopard shark for like $35, corals for no more than $20, so now it sucks to have to pay the full load so ive been trying to bargain shop too. what ive found is that yeah online everything is cheaper but they kill you with the shipping. my advice: get a job at an lfs so you get a real good hands on experience and you get to order one fish here and there. this way you can add them properly instead of getting the shipping discount and dumping 10 fish in a 20 gal in one shot.

masterbuilder

In my next coral order I will include the $12 goby I have been wanting.

I have to order the coral anyway (none locally) and adding the goby doesn’t up the shipping cost. Feels like it helps, I know the truth though.

Mark

MJD, I'm afraid I have to agree with everyone else that those are far too many fish for a 30G tank. Rethink what you are going to add to the tank before placing an order with all those fish. Best of luck!

Archived