ReefCleaners.org

OMG! Is it possable to have Zoo eating pods?

BoBoSkater

Yes, it is possible for regular amphipods to eat zoanthids, if you have an over populated tank without enough food to support the pods.

Your not going to get rid of pods with a dip. You have to get something that will eat them. Read the thread in the general section.

Old thread...I agree with proraptor...they will totally clean out any dead/dying or unhealthy Zoa colonies. I've had two rock coloniess completely cleaned off which each had over 100 polyps on them. Older healthy rocks sitting next to them in the tank were not touched. It happened after an order of mine was lost and delivered 5 days late with water temp at 55F. I hoped they would make it but the pods said NO!

You know I noticed that as well, only polyps that were stressed from a GSP sting in my case or had something wrong with them got eaten, other colonies inches away didnt get touched.

It almost makes you wonder if its a good thing....For example last year I had a wrasse in my tank and no real pod population, and went through a severe bout with zoa pox that basically crashed my tank. Some of the zoas just rotted away, as I franticall dipped the colonies I could, the ones on the base rock were obviously out of reach. If I had a large population of pods perhaps they would have disposed of these dying polyps preventing them from giving me the huge nitrate spikes I expereienced.

Archived