SaltCritters.com

7 gallon bowfront

cpreefguy

I have just set up my little minibow. It's about 3-4 weeks old. Here are the specs as follows:

7 gallon AGA minibow w/ blue background

32watt CSL retro

Tetra Tec pf150 filter w/ heater (made into refugium)

California Reefs float switch w/ 5 gallon reservoir, return retrofitted on Tetra-Tec

5 lbs. established LS

5 lbs. fine grain reef sand

10 lbs. Tonga LR

2 lbs. established LR

2 red-legged hermits

1 turbo snail

1 Algae Blenny

I dose it with iodide and alk buffer, the coralline is out of control

:) I just added the Blenny today, I hope it does well, it's eating stuff off of the rocks already. I will post pictures whenever I can borrow a digital camera.Thanks for looking, all comments are welcomed and appreciated.:happy:

Thanks guys, I will see if I can borrow a camera in the next few days. I agree, minibows are pretty popular. After seeing all of these awesome mini bows (Gilman, Metznreef), I just couldn't resist. I will try to post pictures inthe next couple days:)

Thanks, the tetra tec is alright. I like it mainly because it has the heater in it. It's noisy if the tidal pulse is in use. Also, I made it into a refugium. I lust took out the pads, put in some and lr, and thats it. I was thinking of putting a small light on it and getting some macro algaes for it, but I cant figure out how to retrofit a light small enough on the filter. Any ideas?

Thanks.

looking good. that nice wide rock base gives you lots of room for coral placement. can't wait to see it full of corals!

Looks sweet buddy. I hope to get my live rock this friday night. My heater is really bothering me sitting in the back of my tank staring at me. It is huge inside of this tank. maybe if I put it along the bottom near the sand.

Hey, I'm interested as to see how you turned the filter into a refugium. I just got my tetra-tec out from under the cabinet and started it up. I was thinking of putting some rubble rock on the bottom and 1 piece of rock.

Rock Anemone:D

Well, I've read that carbon depletes nuitrients in the water, so I took the pads out of mine. I ordered 10lbs. of Tonga rock for my tank and it was really porus and filled the whole thing. I was just going to throw the extra little pieces out, then I thought, big empty space in the filter+extra rock=refugium(well kinda). I still want to put some sand and macro algae in it and retrofit a light onto it. Let me know if you have any ideas.

I have not yet posted my set up yet but it will be soon once I get a scanner. My mini bow is almost exactly like yours-AGA 7 bow with the tetratec 150, 2-3" SB, 10 lbs lr, macro algae that wont be staying as it is not taking root, set up on january 1, 03.

I have had problems with my brand new tetra-tec. Th e motor has stopped several times-usually during movement but one time it stopped several ours after its movement. I awoke one morning to find it not running. Th eprevious night I had been working on it to get a grain of sand out. I had to jiggle the motor (while connected and running) for several minutes for it to "kick" in. It has been 2 weeks w/o any problems and plan on keeping it. The only reason why I went with it was the built in heater capability. But then again the tidal pulse, although loud is a nice function. I also have a microjet 606 at 3/4 speed in th etank. Okay enough about my tank. I wanted to suggest something re: lighting your fuge. I was in Barnes and Noble today and saw those clip on lights that you attach to books for bed time reading. As a reefaholic I immediately thought of ways to attach that to my filter. The book worm lights come in battery only or electric and come in various sizes-some pretty damn small.

Yeah, I bought my tetra-tec because of the heater. Some sand got sucked into mine because I didn't turn it off when I was putting more sand in DohX) I just jiggled the motor around and it started to work again. I was at Barnes and Noble today and didn't even think about looking for those. Another DohX)

I'm sure trhey have some type of clip on light. Like the ones that you clip on and they bend over. You can fit one of those PC bulbs from Home Depot in it. It's also a black feature so it would blend in and spot just right over your refugium.

Rock Anemone:D

Hmmm. The only thing I'm considering is that I cut a hole in the top of the filter lid for the return for the make up water. It's just "plugged" into the hole, so I can't take the top off. Although, I might just tape it to the back of the filter...

Archived