Pod Your Reef

Calcium/Alkalinity Tests - Please Help!

duckhuntboy

I have just started my first nano reef: a 7g minibow. It's skimmerless, with 100G/H flow from a powerhead, and also running a whisper 5-15 HOB filter for flow. about 7 lbs live rock, and 2.5 inch sand bed. Lighting is two 13w PC's, 10k and 50/50. My goal for the tank is to hold a pair of percs, and some softies. My questions are as follows:

1. Which test kit (keeping budget as high priority) should I purchase to find my Calcium?

2. Which test kit for Alkalinity?

3. About phytoplankton - How much should I add to the tank per week, and what product should I use?

4. is Phyto the only thing I should add to the tank besides a few things to keep my alk/calcium at a decent level?

5. Is my water flow adequate, or do I need a better powerhead?

Ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate are all at great levels, and I need to get my Q's answered, so I can make my first purchase! I'm looking at a xenia of some type as a first. Please Help!

Duck,

100 gph should be fine for a 7g. For Calcium, most test kits are good. Find a cheap one...although if you're only planning on keeping fish & softies, calcium isn't that important (neither give a rat's @ss about Calcium).

For Alk, most any kit will do. Go for price, but to make sure all your tests are accurate, take some of your water to your LFS and have them test your water. Compare their results with yours.

Phytoplankton - read the label - it'll tell you how much to use. I use DT's phytoplankton, as do many others here. I only use once a week.

Many also use B-Ionic for Calcium/Alk (as do I). Others also recommend a vitamin supplement, but I've never used one.

HTH

How long does a 10 oz. bottle of DT's last before the phyto dies? Also, how do you keep the bottle life (refridgerate, room temp, etc)?

Phyto lasts around 6 months I think. Keep it refrigerated. Its obviously up to you but I think two percs is two much for a 7g. I know its tempting to keep a pair since they are so cute together, but its a good possibility that they won't both live. I think many people would agree.

As for your tests, phosphate tests aren't a bad idea. If (and when) you have algae probs, po4 tests are good for your tank water as well as for any fresh water you use.

As for what stuff to dose other than Ca/Alk stuff, I'm not sure there's a good consensus. Some people (myself included) like to dose iodine (can help xenia), some dose Strontium (though I don't think many). I think DT's is a good idea but I think that without a skimmer DT's can form a nasty film on the surface of your water. I use DT's but I don't think I notice a difference, but then again its so difficult to figure out what might or might not be causing stuff to thrive.

DT's recomends that you use 5mL per 15 G every otherday. It also states that you should try to double this.

I notice that lots of people use it one or twice a week. The bottle comes with a recomended use by date sticker.

Lee

Archived