inTank Media Baskets

PO4-minus Usage - Update

ross76053

As a last resort, I've been using PO4-minus (a German-made product touting it removes phosphates) for several days now. It claims it takes phosphate levels down to near zero within 24 hours. The only thing it's taken down to zero is my patience.

My algal growth has intensified during it's use. Last night I scraped the hair from my back glass. This morning I woke to find a fresh layer of hair, about 1/4 inch growing from the same glass I scraped 10 hours ago. It had grown that much IN THE DARK.

The bottle says you must skim heavily during it's use - and I did just that. In my opinion, stay away from PO4-minus.

I've been waiting to hear your review on this product, as I'm beginning to see hair algae growth in my tank as well. I'm sorry to hear that it didn't work out for you, although now I know not to purchase it from my LFS.

HAHAHHAHAHAHA A HA HAHA

you suck at reefing

HAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHA HA HA HA HA

J/K :P

have you tested to see if there is any measurable Phos?

perhaps you have a high iron count. that can fuel algae faster than anything. I believe that stuff you speek of is similar to Rowanphos. They exchange Iron ( Fe) ions.

dave makes a very good point. bio-limiters other than PO4. iron is a very good suspect too. : how's your refugium coming along? have you stocked it with macro yet?

off on a tangent a bit, how's your Ca levels. with such rampant algae growth i'm thinking Mg would take a hit. just didn't want a cascade-effect to overwhelm you. that's where tank crashes usually come from ime.

Have you tested to see if there is any measurable Phos?
Yes there is measurable Phophate in my tank - to the tune of around .1 ppm. I wouldn't be using a product called PO4-minus just for the heck of it.

I've got Calerpa growing in the fuge now for about two weeks - so far it's not helping.

...and....IRON? What the..... I can't believe out of all the material I've read the past six months, I haven't read anything about iron. Great. Another freakin' test kit. (sorry, just frustrated).

Just took Tiny's advice on putting some of my sand bed in a fresh gallon of water. I'll wait a few hours, then test. If it's PO4-positive, that sand bed's outa here.

Archived