inTank Media Baskets

surprise tank!

Twins Guy

went to the LFS to get some cerith and astrea snails for the 10 hex and wound up with another tank! but not how you would have guessed. floated the snails for a few and who should appear but the elusive and now super-sized foe-manty the mantis shrimp. just checking out his dinner options i'm sure but sadly he fell victim to my quick net! so i cleaned up the ole acrylic betta bowl/ice bucket and added a lil leftover sand, some pvc couplings n some LR chunks. a lil grape caulerpa completes the biotope. right now his tank's stand is a PFO 175W MH ballast-awaiting pendant. may also be his deathbed come monday as i hear MH ballasts get pretty hot! j/k anyways here's the best pics i could snap of the monster-my girlfriend wants to blend him-or play sushi chef-or inflict some other midevil torture-an eye for an eye i guess-unfortunately there's no way we'll get even unless we find about 60 of his closest relatives, X)

here's the abode-about 3/4 of a gallon with vegetable filtration-and an airline/simple bubbler. natural lighting via west facing window and yeah...eng method!

does anyone else think this is ironic-you would if you saw the turfs of algae these cats were missing-in case the pic isn't clear...its a nerites snail piggy-backing on an astrea snail who's sucking on the magfloat algae scraper. maybe redundant is a better way to describe it.

have ya fed him yet?? i really want to see one tear up some shrimp or squid or something. get a whole shrimp and attach him to a stick or something and make it swim around the tank. mmmm i love the carnage ;) . Anyways, mad props for doing all that for him, most people who have blended him up. Anyways, try and sell him on reef central if u dont want em, there is definatly a market for them....

note-this piece of krill is half his body length...but a lil dance and bang! he's been grinding on it for about 10 minutes now, with no sign of losing interest. ironically i could drop it right on his snout and he'd want nothing to do with it. thanks fer the encouragement spence, maybe you could talk to my girlfriend!

tg

I plan on holding ours in a prison type environment for a while before pardoning it and turning it over to the state of Satchmo. That is, unless we decide to feed him to the tank. We have lost way too many fish to just give this critter a nice home.

Archived