Top Shelf Aquatics

refugium with an aqua clear HOB - pics

gregmoeck

There has been some talk concerning making a refugium out of a aquaclear. Well, a couple month ago I decided to toss in a bunch of rubble and chunks of live rock in my aqua clear 150. Today I have tons of mysis shrimp running loose in the filter plus the walls and lip are heavly spotted with coraline. I have algae that I have to harvest, not much but it grows daily. It's funky back there and looks great. Last night I slowed the output to minimum position and reall notice a change in the main tank. Everything is open nicely.

Here are some pics of my 10 gallon nano with 96watt powerquad pendant. No skimmer.

acro.JPG

fuge.JPG

dusters.JPG

fulltank.JPG

pendant.JPG

milk.JPG

Yep, i've been using a Aquaclear 500 on my 7gal bow for a over a year now. Stuffed with rock and 3-4 different types of algea, and som live sand. I have to scrap the corline off the cglass every week and i have a huge pod mysis shrip population.

Clinton

so you use the aragamilk huh...how is it? ive seen it around but have been scared to try it since i have had good results with b-ionic.

I like aragamilk, I've been using it for about 2 months. I was getting a few spots of coraline with kalkwasser but it exploded after I started using milk. I notice premiumaquatics uses this product as well. I also like the fact it takes care remineralization of RO water with just a couple drops.

Nice looking tank !! You have some very clean looking sand and lush coraline. What are those worm looking creatures on the back wall?

Thanks for the complement. The worm looking things are featherdusters, they are all over the back wall and in the HOB. And to keep the HOB from getting plugged up i clean it once a month with my water change. All i really claen is the suction tube and the motor assembly. Oh and just so you guys know that's a total of 60 watts of Overdriven NO Fluorescent's. Everything has grown considerable sice it was setup. B)

Clinton

I have been thinking about using an aquaclear 500 as a refugium on my 20 for a little while now. But I am not sure that it is big enough for the 20. What is your opion?

Because of how I built my stand:x I have no room for a 10g fuge so I was considering a 5g fuge but I hate overflow boxes, because of there size.

Any recommendations would be appreciated!

• 4 months later...
Pseudo Gregoree

Hey Im sorry to bring such an old topic back up....

I just got an aqua clear fliter and am going to use it as a refuge.... I put some sand in there for now but my macro keeps blowing out of the filter.... do i need to get some already attatched to rock or what?

can i stick this stuff to rocks somehow?

thanks

Greg

i dont think it will work without live rock rubble. I have some large and small peices in there. The calerp just hangs onto the rock and eventually attaches to the walls of the filter once it has some age. Mine are pretty packed and funky.

Archived