ReefCleaners.org

suggestions for corals?

SeaFish

i have 144 watts of power compact lighting. with two being 03 true actinics from hellolights and two being 71K whtie light. my tank is a 20 gallon tank and about 15 inches deep from the top of the sand bed. currently i have one corcea clam that is doing as well as i can say, i have two spawn corals (1 with green body and brown tips and 1 with miky white body with green tips), green star polyps that is propagating, and a yellow flowerpot. i have a sabae clown and a yellow watchman goby. i have two cleaner shirmps and a blood shrimps. currectly i have only two scarelet hermits but in need of more hermits and snails. what other corals can you guys suggest with my lighting system? i am looking for corals with bright colors or contrasting colors that is hardy and at the same time stunning. any suggestons?

"anything i want!!!" that is awsome...hehe....but the thing is..i am not that experience of a reefer yet and i am looking for something that is easy to maintain or has a high survial rate. i have only been reefing for about a year and really dont wnat to kill anything that i know i could of been able to keep if i had more experience. so with only a one year experience in reef keeping, what do u all think is best for me? oh forgot to mention in my previous post i have a pulsing xenia that pulses like crazy and has split a few times with some of in my gf's tank. hehe...but yeah..please suggest me on other good lookng corals to keep with my limited experience.

printerdown01

I'm not going to lecture you, so no worries, but don't buy any more "flower pot" corals (gonipora). These do not live long in captivity (in almost every case they take a major nose dive at about the 1 year mark). For some reason supplier and reef store keep selling these things to people! It is really disheartening that they do so. If we were able to get people to stop buying these all together, they would stop harvesting them. They are very beautiful, and are quite hardy in the wild. Unfortunately, we are just missing something at this point...

A good way to judge the ease of care is to buy "tank raised." Not only is it an environmentally friendly practice but it also guarentees that the coral you are purchacing grows well in captivity, so well that someone is harvesting it from their own tanks. A few really easy corals are: sarcophytons (elegans and fiji toadstools are particularly beautiful), finger leathers, as well as leathers in general, xenia, fox coral, shrooms, zoanthids, green star polyps, and organ pipe coral (IF they have large polyps -small polyped organ pipe is fairly difficult to keep).

thanks for all your replies. the comment about flower pot, yeah..i bought that thing without knowing anything about it, so i dont want to make the same mistake. but it has been doing better now and stopped receding and is actually growing back some flesh. so i guess that is why i am asking you guys input. once again thank you all for your hlep.

Archived