Coral Vue Hydros

My 1st Pico tank

Ricky@3rdshift

Ricky@3rdshift

4258396521B.jpg

I currently have it running with live sand, a small piece of live rock, and stock light.

Anyone have any suggestions on where to go next? I was thinking possibly some easy to kep corals, and possibly some small unusual creature that isn't a fish.

1st suggestion: Double up the lighting. These are a bit weak in the lighting category for reef tanks. If they were cheap enough where you are, just buy a whole 2nd setup & take light from that.

You'll be good to go for zoos, shrooms, etc...

I would get 1.5 gallons of LR. Also switch out the lighting to something more powerful, or add second. Wait a little bit and get some shrooms, or polyps.

Ricky@3rdshift
I would get 1.5 gallons of LR. Also switch out the lighting to something more powerful, or add second. Wait a little bit and get some shrooms, or polyps.

I was thinking about a 2nd light, of course I would need to buy a whole 2nd tank, but at 25.00 whats the big deal. The current light has 7 watts, I assume of 6500k.

I set it up with Live sand from my 55 set up and have a nice 2 lb piece of Live Rock to go in it, but since all of my local shops usually sell corals on rock frags I was thinking it may be easier to just add them as I buy them.

Does anyone have any suggestions as far as heating goes/ it seems to stay about mid to low 70's without a heater.

Ricky

Ricky@3rdshift
keep the room temp at a stable 78 degrees ;)

Wish I could do that, but its a comunity office space, and the heat/air gets adjusted warmer in summer and cooler in winter the weekends and hours we are not there.

I was looking at a small heat "pad" device that claims 3 to 5 degrees increase in ambient room temp.

Ricky

Steeltowndubber
Wish I could do that, but its a comunity office space, and the heat/air gets adjusted warmer in summer and cooler in winter the weekends and hours we are not there.

I was looking at a small heat "pad" device that claims 3 to 5 degrees increase in ambient room temp.

Ricky

See my thread http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=75241 I have the same tank....

Ricky@3rdshift

I have yet to figure out what the specs are on these stock lights, but I adeda 2nd one to see if that helps some. I am also adding a heater.

I have yet to figure out what the specs are on these stock lights, but I adeda 2nd one to see if that helps some. I am also adding a heater.

Aqualux 7w 7200k.

50/50 available here:

http://www.aquaticeco.com/index.cfm/fuseac...d/3811/cid/1089

I just added a second lamp, the shrooms and zoos love it. The two sexy shrimp are not as happy I think! I will need to add a heater come summer, as the office temp is near 70 degrees. So far running all winter with no heat, and I have never tested temp. Any ideas on a heater? No in tank heater, I like the clean look. Tank has been up since 10/2005.

Important with this 1g (actually .75g in reality) tank is to monitor salinity, I have had it flucuate from 1.023 to 1.026 over two days. Notice to the right of pic, the plastic lid cut from a grocery store salad bar container lid. Very important in an office environment to cover tank over weekends to reduce evap.

pico.jpg

Gary

Ricky@3rdshift

I added a second light today and I still cannot get the temps above 74 so I am gonna break down and add the heater. The zoos and the shroom frag I have are opening up , but just not popping if ya know what I mean.

Ricky@3rdshift

****UpDate*****

I removed the hydor heat pad due to extreme temps,andadded an adjustable 25w all glass brand heater. Things are looking like they are on track now.

I have a small rock with 3 frags of zoos, and a small hairy mushroom. Looks good so far.

Ricky@3rdshift
25W!!! jeeze man!! overkill!!

It is the smallest heater I could find locally that was fully submergable, and adjustable. The key here is not the 25w , but the fact its adjustable so I have it turned way down to like 75 or 77 degrees.

i would definately keep like a 1 liter of fresh water nearby for daily top offs. i keep that mixed with amquel right next to my pico and it does the job. i also change out 25% twice a week and everyone seems happy. i have the same set up except i changed out the bulb on mine for a 13w 50/50. its too big for the housing and looks ghetto but it works. GOOD LUCK!!!

Archived